Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Water Tank Vent Relocation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 11:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Tank Vent Relocation
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2023 18:31 
Rail Meat

I hope everyone has had as good of a sailing season as we have had on the Chesapeake.

We're settling into the off-season boat work and one project I'd like to tackle is relocating (or somehow else, fixing) our port side water tank vent. Last weekend we went for a sail and were on starboard tack for a while in 20-23 knots, heeled significantly, and ended up draining a large portion of our port side water tank into the bilge. Luckily we were headed home so didn't need the water, but it will surely happen again when we're on our way to anchor out for a week and need the water.

Has anyone relocated the vent for this water tank to be closer to the toe rail so that when heeled over, the tank doesn't lose any water?

Thanks

#314, Silver Lining

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Water Tank Vent Relocation
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023 11:10 
Skipper

IIRC, the high point loop on my boat is attached to the bottom of the cabinet. Were you throwing rooster tails on the stanchions? I don't think I've had my boat laying that far over. The Admiral would throw me overboard if I did. Shocked

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023 19:40 
Rail Meat

Ha! We were pretty hard over, but it was relatively short lived. Maybe it's not draining through the vent and I should inspect/replace the inspection port gaskets, I'm sure they're due for replacement.

#314, Silver Lining

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023 20:45 
Skipper

Was water just in bilge, thats the vent line. Or was it coming out from under the settee on the floor, that may top inspection ports, fitting cracked or tank cracked.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023 23:32 
Skipper

My vent is up under the cabinets as well and I have never had a problem in 32 years of active sailing the boat. I suppose you could get a pumping action in certain wave intervals, but I think you are right to look elsewhere--like the gaskets. These tanks also had crappy fittings for the vent tube on the tank and that could be the source as well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2023 18:03 
Rail Meat

We had a mix of water on the floor and in the bilge, but mostly in the bilge and it was a pretty good amount of water. I'll try new inspection port gaskets and check that vent fitting. Sounds like it's probably not the vent location

#314, Silver Lining

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2023 06:22 
Tactictian

Your problem is more likely that you were sailing with the starboard tank pump suction valve open. When you do this you create a head several feet higher on starboard tack that is well above the port tank vent. This causes the water to spill out that vent loop that only goes as high as the port cabinets. Simply close the starboard tank valve when sailing. You may have also figured out that yoi need to close the sink drain on port tack to prevent filling the sink when heeled.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2023 21:16 
Rail Meat

That makes good sense! We had the starboard tank open so I bet that's what was going on

#314, Silver Lining

Profile Email