Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mast step & bonding wires

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 11:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast step & bonding wires
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2023 18:01 
Tactictian

We're in the process of upgrading the 12 AWG solid bonding wires to 8 AWG stranded wire, which hopefully will improve our lightning survivability. The two old bonding wires from the port chainplates run under the mast step. I've disconnected them at both ends, but can't remove them because they seem to be glued into a "tiny bulkhead" under the mast step. In the lower attached photo you can see the hose that encloses the centerboard pennant at the top and the two bonding wires (one is blurry and greenish, the other is in the shadow below the first one). The bonding wires seem to be cast in place through a messy lump of fiberglass. I also don't like the lump because it restricts water from forward of the mast draining back to the bilge pump. The whole area under the cockpit sole in front of the mast step has a gross puddle of mud from the anchor chain.

Does anyone else have this configuration? Think there's any problem (other than access difficulty) with removing the lump and the wires with creative use of a dremel drill or multi-max saw?

During this investigation I also noticed that our mast seems to be misaligned with the hull. The upper photo shows the mast and the green mast step plate are about 3/4" to port relative to the centerboard trunk and the "tunnel" for the pennant that's part of the keel molding. I'm curious if other boats are just like this, or if the mast step to keel alignment varies from boat to boat.

Attachments:
File comment: Green fiberglass plate is slightly to port of the white centerboard trunk and the pennant tunnel
PXL_20230523_204001546.jpg
PXL_20230523_204001546.jpg [ 2.85 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Inside the mast step: centerboard pennant hose and two chainplate bonding wires
PXL_20230413_173802392.jpg
PXL_20230413_173802392.jpg [ 2.77 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email