Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacing Garmin GWS 10 Wind Sensor

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 18:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Garmin GWS 10 Wind Sensor
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023 08:41 
Rail Meat

Miranda, my 1982 Tartan 37, is fitted with 2013 Gramin NMEA 2000 electronics, including a GPSMap 700 chart plotter, GHC 10 autopilot, and GWS 10 wind sensor connected to a GMI 10 display. Although all have been discontinued by Garmin, everything works well, except for the GWS 10 wind sensor. The sensor stopped working after the wind vane came off and water infiltrated into the sensor housing. I am thinking about replacing the GWS 10 with the new Garmin gWind unit, but the gWind will require running a new Nexus compatible cable down the mast and adding a GND 10 black box to bridge the NMEA 2000 data to the Nexus Network in order to work with my other Gramin electronics. My first question is whether anyone has used a gWind with the older Garmin NMEA 2000 electronics like mine, and if so, what has been your experience with that combination? My second question is whether anyone has instead used a ultrasonic wind sensor, like the Maretron WSO 200, which interfaces directly with NMEA electronics (so I can use the existing NMEA cable in the mast and do not need a GND black box), and if so, what has been your experience with the combination of the Garmin instruments and the ultrasonic wind sensor. Thanks in advance.

Profile Email