Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mast Track and Rain?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 14 May 2024 04:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Track and Rain?
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2007 18:59 
Midshipman

I have been looking at the posts on topics related to bilge water but wonder if anyone has noticed that rain water may be coming down the mast-track. During the winter here in MI, my boat goes on the cradle with a winter tarp. When I leave the mast up, I have to go to the boat about once a month and pump out the bilge replenishing the pink RV antifreeze that I put there to keep the bilge water from freezing. However -- when the mast is down and I put the winter cover on, I can completely cover the deck collar, and I get no water in the bilge. Any thoughts or experience?

BTW, I have checked during rain storms for water coming in around stanchions and other deck fittings and find no leaks.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mast Track and Rain?
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007 15:49 
Able Bodied Seaman

I get a decent amount of water down the mast, but the majority is due to a poor mast boot. I haven't noticed significant ingress through the mast internally.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mast Track and Rain?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008 17:09 
Able Bodied Seaman

I was able to stop virtually all leaks in the mast with a few steps. I used Spar-Tite, the pour in product, to replace the rubber wedges. Also, some years ago, I was able to locate a vinyl mast boot customed sized to the mast section and mast partners; I either found this at Tartan or maybe Joe Palmer who used to supply old Tartan parts-he is out of business. To protect the mast boot, I had a cover made out of Sunbrella. Finally, I recaulk the sail track every few years. Even with slots cut in the mast for internal halyards, I rarely ever see any water.

Tartan37403

Profile Email