Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Plumbing - Holding tank installation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 21:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plumbing - Holding tank installation
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007 16:24 
Rail Meat

My Chesapeake Bay-based T-37 needs a holding tank. It was never installed when the previous electrical sanitation system was removed. A diagram or schematic from a fellow T-37 owner showing tank, pump and valves would be extremely helpful. FYI, the lower half of the vertical port locker in the forward cabin and the sail storage area under the V-berth are available for a tank. Thanks. Larry.julihn@samuelsinternational.com or Fax: 202 223 7683

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Plumbing - Holding tank installation
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007 07:29 
Skipper

I just upgraded my system to a Vacu-flush only to discover my holding tank had sprung a leak at the outflow fitting. I have found a 35 gallon tank that will fit under the V berth on my boat (Caution you will need to measure carefully as I have only 1/4" clearance front to back). You will need to support the tank on the bottom and sides with plywood. My previous tank was only 13 gallons and was very difficult to get it empty as it always left 3-4 gallons in after a pumpout.

The tank I found was B445 from Ronco Plastics at $343.20. Ronco can be reached at (714) 259-1385 or online at http://www.ronco-plastics.net/index.html. I have yet to install it but plan to before the snow flies. I plan to drain it from the bottom as I have 4 inches to spare under the tank and will put a 90' fitting there pointing aft. I will then run the pumpout line thru the bulkhead and out to the deck.

I will keep you posted as to how things go. Let me know of anything you come up with.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2007 20:10 
Midshipman

Well, I am on the boat and I kept noticing a much stronger odor from the v-berth. Upon further investigation I found the holding tank had imploded! The vent must have clogged and during the last pump out caused this?

WARNING?if you have a weak stomach don?t venture any further?The cleanout must have popped out and landed where it is in the photo.

Attachment:
Holding Tank Implosion 1.JPG

Holding Tank Implosion 1.JPG [ 438.08 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

So, I am in need of a new tank. I'll check the Ronco mentioned in this post.

By the way...I do have a recommendation...check your holding tank vent! And if you figure out how, let me know!! Thanks!

Well, I still have some cleaning to do...so, I'll keep you posted on the newest boat priority.

Regards,
Craig Connolly
Recollections

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007 08:09 
Skipper

I have found that if you spray one of the enzyme sprays that are used to remove pet urine odors that they do work. Spray and leave do not wipe. A caution is do not use bleach before or after as it will kill the enzymes. Clean with water first then spray. Use good rubber gloves.

Removing the remaining tank can be a bugger as you end up carrying it up close a personal. Dump the contents into a port-a-potty or toilet as it can be dangerous

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007 21:07 
Midshipman

Dangerous is right, I had my first sick day from work in over three years two days after removing the tank.

Now mostly over that unpleasant task, I have ordered the Ronco tank B501. It is 19 gallons and is supposed to be the same size as the tank I removed. I haven't gotten the total quote yet but, they have been very friendly to work with thus far.

More pics coming...

Craig

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 13:01 
Able Bodied Seaman

If you have the past issues of the T-37 newsletter, there was a good article with photos on this job some years ago. Specifically, it also covered how to rig for offshore pumpout, etc.

Tartan 37403

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 17:17 
Midshipman

I don't have a copy of the newsletter. Would anyone object to posting it on the site? Copyright issues?

Craig Connolly
Recollections
T37 #231

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007 13:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

Craig,

I'm too low-tech to know how to post the article to the site. Can't imagine there are copy write issues; I recall that the article was written by a past commodore of the T37 Association. If someone else doesn't post it, I'll look and see if I can locate a copy and mail it to you. I remember the article because I did the replumbing myself the article came up with.

Ted

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007 20:24 
Skipper

If you want to snail mail it to me I can scan it and post it as a PDF for everyone to view. I have access to a high speed multi page colour scanner.

I will email you my address if you email me at sord@rogers.com

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007 12:41 
Midshipman

That is very cool. My new tank arrived yesterday and I haven't had a chance to unwrap it yet. I am now in a debate with myself over the use of the Trident 102 hose with the odor shield or the 140 for less than half the price. Right now the tide is running with the expensive stuff. I'm thinking that I don't want to have to do this again on this boat. And the 5 year warranty is worth the extra $s.

I will take some pictures of the new tank when I get it unwrapped.

Regards,
Craig Connolly
Recollections
T37 #231

T37 #231

Profile Email