Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bilge Pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 07:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge Pump
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006 17:36 
Rail Meat

Has anyone attempted to discharge the bilge pump into the galley sink drain. I have had a problem with return flow after the pump stops while pumping into the cockpit drain.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bilge Pump
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006 18:25 
Skipper

Not sure what you mean... ours pumps overboard. And you'll always have some backwash as long as you're pumping to a place higher than the bilge. You really have to have some high point in the system so the water won't want to come in. Or am I missing something?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006 13:51 
Skipper

I just replaced our bilge pump with 3700 GPH Rule, so far so good. I also had the backwash issue before this install. This time I added a check valve close to the pump. I also wired it directly to the battery, bypassing any switch. This virtually eliminates any human error.

I am curious what people have done with their sump pumps. Right now it drains into the bilge. I haven?t attempted to repair this yet, partially because the previous owner said he couldn?t get the water to pump out due to the length and height to the thru hull. I was thinking about running the line to the Head sink thru hull? What has worked on your boats?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006 12:12 
Skipper

Isn't water supposed to be on the outside of a boat?? My bilge pumps all have back-flow preventers, but after awhile, the water seeps back into the bilge anyway. My shower and ice box sump is independent and pumps overboard. I have a manual bilge pump, a rule 3000, and an emergency y-valve on the engine intake, which helps out during winterizing. My stuffing box has a dripless shaftseal that works great so I'm not getting a lot of water in the bilge, at least thats the plan....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006 14:13 
Skipper

We talk about putting that Y fitting in every fall. Snicker But we're still undoing hose clamps every season. Our biggest water source is the lifeline stantion mounts. A couple have been stressed enough to allow leaks. we got about 4" of water in the bilge while on the cradle for two weeks! Shocked That can't be coming from the shaft. Time to do some waterproofing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006 19:50 
Skipper

This might sound weird but it?s nice to know I?m not the only one who doesn?t know exactly where their bilge water is coming from Confused

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2006 08:45 
Skipper

^^^ Ah... the alternate use of the "enthusiast forum". We share solutions when possible, or sometimes, just cry in our beer together. Splice

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2006 10:49 
Midshipman

I have a separate discharge hose for the shower sump. I have a Rule Super Switch in the sump which turns on a Jabsco Par Max 3 pump which discharges through a thru-hull adjacent to the starboard cockpit scupper. In the bilge I have a Rule Mate 1100 discharging past a check valve into the starboard cockpit scupper hose. The check valve precludes backflow through the scupper. A prior owner installed the drainage, and while it seems to work OK, I'd probably have designed something different. For one, I don't like check valves as they seem to cause the pump to have to work harder. Jay.

Profile Email