Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Main sheet turning blocks

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 06:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main sheet turning blocks
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2022 06:34 
Skipper

So after only 41 years, one of my main sheet turning blocks disintegrated last weekend. Looking closely at the others, I see a lot of spider cracks in the plastic sheeves (sp). Took one to the boat show yesterday intending to match it up at the Garhauer booth and they weren’t there! Now I have to figure out the best substitute without seeing them. Not my strong suit! Has anyone changed the spring block at the base of the mast? I would like to do it without taking down the headliner and wonder if the plywood trim piece covers the bottom of that mounting plate.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Main sheet turning blocks
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2022 06:48 
Skipper

The standing block at the mast is thru bolted through 2" (approx) of glass and core. Standing blocks further to port (I'm using smaller than the mainsheet block) would be thru bolted through 1" core. See my response to Theoden elsewhere, but I used all Garhauer (for the 4th time on a boat).

Don't know about Garhauer these days. Two of the key people (including Guido) passed away in the last couple of years. GREAT stuff.

Going to the boat today to mount sails and figger out those smaller standing blocks - 2 going to port and one to starboard. I have a triple deck organizer I'm going to put to port. Right now to stbd. is only the centerboard pennant turning on the factory angled piece of teak. But many have only the mainsheet and the centerboard pennant (well, and the traveler lines).

I used some cheap jam cleats initially (plastic). Those suck and I'm taking them out for Schaefer stainless ones.

Profile Email