Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fuel Tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 03:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2022 05:47 
Skipper

That is what mine looks like so I’ll take the good news. Interesting about the failure. There is a magnetic interface between the rod in the tank and the sending unit that sits in that “pan”. As long as the sending unit is out, the activator works fine. When the sending unit is put back in, the magnet lifts the rod slightly and the gears between the swing arm and the rod un mesh.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2022 08:47 
Skipper

Yeah, I think the 6 hole lineup is different. The tank lineup is not perfectly symmetrical where the sending unit lineup is.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2022 15:43 
Skipper

cseltzjr wrote:
That is what mine looks like so I’ll take the good news. Interesting about the failure. There is a magnetic interface between the rod in the tank and the sending unit that sits in that “pan”. As long as the sending unit is out, the activator works fine. When the sending unit is put back in, the magnet lifts the rod slightly and the gears between the swing arm and the rod un mesh.

I think I found the "correct" sending unit for the 5 hole setup. It's a Vetus, a little over 18" in length and it's friggin' PRICEY.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2022 15:52 
Rail Meat

The fuel sending unit I have is on Defender for $29.00. The swing arm only gives a relative reading, it does not accurately show what is in the tank. The vertical one would be worth it if it worked well.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... id=1660145

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2022 16:42 
Skipper

Looks like the Moeller reed switch will work. Out of inventory at Hamilton Marine, so I grabbed the Vetus instead. Had to have, but over twice the price of Moeller. https://vetusmarine.americommerce.com/s ... 57/64.aspx

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022 05:48 
Skipper

The Vetus looks similar to what I bought. If the screw holes don’t line up, I’ll drill new ones. Everything Vetus does is crazy expensive! I had one of their motors in my last boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022 07:18 
Skipper

I'm hoping the lineup is the same for the 5-hole. I haven't checked yet. If the sending unit top is the same it should line up. I was going to grab some JB Weld and somehow attempt to fill the holes if drilling were to occur. Then you really got to try to get the shavings out of the tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2022 19:42 
Skipper

The new sender gasket appears to fit right over the screw heads on the existing sender so I expect it to be a simple change out as long as it “communicates” with my existing gauge. The funny thing is when I got aboard and started the motor, the fuel gauge came to life! I guess I’ll wait for it to fail to make the switch.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2022 06:17 
Skipper

I installed the new sending unit yesterday. 18 1/2" fits nicely, no fetching up anywhere. But I think the Moeller unit (if it's 5 hole) would be fine at less than half the price. The Vetus gasket, though, just plain didn't line up. You could see one of the holes was off by 1/4" or so. I put a little diesel sealer on each hole before I threaded the screws back in. Should be fine, but I held onto the cork gasket (which has oblong holes allowing for a little adjustment) just in case.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2022 08:56 
Skipper

I figured out pretty quickly that the sender hadn’t started working but was rather just stuck on full instead of empty. I changed out the senders and the new one (Amazon.com for about $40) dropped in and works. Although there are 5 holes, they are not equally spaced. There is a proper orientation and it is the same for both. Now I need a detailed drawing of the tank so I can calculate capacity.

Profile Email