Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - moisture spot on cabin floor/port water tank moisture

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 16 Apr 2024 15:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: moisture spot on cabin floor/port water tank moisture
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2007 20:34 
Navigator

I have a dark stain on the port settee floor. I have hear this is common and took a look. What I found was the port side water tank was bedded in a foam that was retaining water. I didnt have time to find the source of the water but I am suspicious of the overflow port on the top side of the tank. Has anyone had this problem? What did you find? When I fill the tank it overflows out the overflow vent and the floor also gets wet. Thanks Carl Sutherland

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: moisture spot on cabin floor/port water tank moisture
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007 11:19 
Skipper

I found that the wet floor was caused by 2 things on my boat: 1) the access ports on top of the tanks will leak, regardless of how much I tried to tighten them even after I replaced the o-rings; and 2) I had a crack on the top of my starboard tank (which I had weld repaired), and suspect that I may have a small on the top of my port tank. Now I fill the tanks through the access ports (not through the deck fill connection) , and never fill them to more than 1" - 2" below the top. Since adopting that practise, I haven't had water spill over to the cabin sole.

Jim Voelxen
Odessey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007 17:57 
Navigator

Jim, I have watched the overflow vent and loop hose that goes from the top of the tank to a loop and down to a bilge drain. I cannot see it leaking. It never occured to me to check the top fill/inspection caps. I think mine must leak when I fill it faster than it can overflow out. One last question. This is the first year I have had the boat. I leave the selector ball valve open for both tanks, I know there is transfer of water from high side tank to the low side, this also happens to be the port side, do you think it is pressurizing the port tank and flowing out the top? Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007 19:24 
Skipper

Carl-

Cross-connecting the tanks will aggravate the problem. As you noted, with the tanks cross-connected, the high side tank will increase the pressure on the low side tank when heeling. If the low side tank does have leaks, the increased pressure will increase that leakage. I never cross-connect my tanks for this reason, in particular, since I suspect a small leak in my port tank. I generally start with my port tank in service. When that empties, I then put the starboard tank in service. Draining the port tank first also improves the list to port the boats have with the fuel tank full.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2007 13:32 
Midshipman

Boy, does this bring up some memories.

We left Key West against our better judgement, to sail upwind in 28 knots. As we prepped the boat that morning, I briefly thought about closing the crossover valve. Didn't. A couple hours later my wife went below and yelled, "there's water on the floor!" Of course I had to ask if there was a little or a lot. Turns out, all the water from the stbd tank flowed to the port tank and out the overflow. Then a box of red wine and a box of long life milk broke. This all made for a nasty mess. Even though I hosed out the bilges of the boat when we bought it, there was still construction debris floating around to plug up the bilge pump. Took over an hour to empty out the bilge.

New story. You've heard of hurricane Charley? Well our boat was anchored in the eye of the storm in Punta Gorda. We had no damage, but after the storm I noted there was NO water in the port tank. Boats were reported to be laying with the masts to the water during the storm, and I believe all the water went out the overflow.

Other occurences have prompted me to replace the vent on the port tank. It is now routed out thru the transom. I didn't want to go out the side like the holding tank, as I feared taking on sea water when the rail is in the water. (We sail that way a lot!)

Yes we also had problems with the caps leaking. I now grease them with white lithium grease and they seal well.

The port overflow line was never plumbed properly and I strongly recommend you do something to relocate the line.

Jerry
JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email