Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Stepping the mast

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 14:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stepping the mast
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2007 14:56 
Rail Meat

I will be transporting my new to me, T 37 cb Hull #216 from it's current location on Lake Superior to a lake closer to my home. My prior boat was an O'Day 25 with deck stepped mast that we could just get on the trailer, etc. So this is my first keel stepped mast. Could those of you with experience with lowering and raising the mast address the process you use? Obviously, you get a big crane to lift it up and put the botton end down and so forth but are there any pitfalls, or any tricks you've found that make this process easier? The lowering process will be done by the marina where the boat is currently located. It's primarily restepping the mast at the local marina when the boat arrives. So I expect that there will be a crane, with operator, myself, my wife and maybe 1 or 2 people from the marina where it will be stored this winter on the hard. What are your opinions on the various mast boots, etc. Where do mast wedges come into the picture? How tight should I have the stays and shrouds if it's going to be sitting in a cradle for the winter? Do I need to tighten those up before craning in in the spring? I have a lot of books on sailing, boat repairs, etc. and I've checked my references and didn't find much and I've tried googling without much more success so I would appreciate whatever you can tell me. Thank you

Keith

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Stepping the mast
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007 13:20 
Grinder

Hi Keith,

Here is some information about preparing your Tartan for transport. http://www.brownellsystems.com/uploads/boat_prep.pdf I used Brownell Systems to transport my boat from Lake Erie to the east coast. Your transporter may have some additional information. I also took the time to remove the standing rigging and spreaders, except the head stay and roller furler. I used carpeting to pad the roller furler and head stay and tied everything up very well. Be sure to label all the rigging, so you know what goes where when you put it back together.

You may want to leave the mast down during winter storage and step it in the spring. When stepping the mast, be sure to support the centerboard as you will have to run the pennant up through the mast using the tag line left by the yard when they unstepped the mast. There was some good information about tuning the rig and using Spartite at http://www.tartan37.com/page6.html, but the page is currently unavailable. I have asked the webmaster to check into it. I have heard that the local yards here are fond of the butyl rubber, sticky backed construction tape available at your local home improvement center for sealing the mast at the partners. Then cover it with your choice of mast boot.

Have fun!

Mark

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Stepping the mast
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007 19:53 
Midshipman

Keith,
I bought my T37 (Hull #315) on Lake Superior and also had it trucked to my home port on Lake Michigan. Since the other "Mark" commented on the shipping, I'll refer to my methods for storage/stepping here in MI.

I keep the mast up each winter except every 4-5 years I take it down for the winter to check the rigging, replace bulbs, etc.. This is the most common method that I see used in the Great Lakes unless you are storing inside. I have constructed a two-piece 4'x4' (each about 6' long)as an artificial mast and 2'x6' as an artificial boom, so that it works with my winter tarp. During the winter (with mast up), I loosen the rigging about 3 half-turns on each turnbuckle (stays) and 6-10 half-turns on the back stay. When stepping the mast, I like to be below as if they don't lower it straight down, the mast can scratch the bulkhead adjacent to the mast step. See the previous comments about the center board pennant.

As for the mast wedges, mine came with the hard rubber pads which I think I replaced with new ones from Rigging Only (see the web). I can't remember whether the directions were in the original T37 manual or directions I got from Rigging Only, or maybe through the Sailnet Tartan forum. Basically, it requires running a strong line around the mast and winching the mast forward or backward at the deck colar in order to fit the rubber pads in place. I've done this now 3 times and the method works well, plus I helped a dock-mate with a T33 do his also.

Maybe someone else has a better or different method. I let the marina take the lead in stepping and unstepping so that if there is damage, the marina's insurance will cover it... and I just help out, which they seem to prefer anyway.

Mark II

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email