Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Strength of the binnacle

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 09:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strength of the binnacle
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007 15:21 
Skipper

I'm seeing the binnacle give a bit now that we have crew who (no names mentioned) need more support as they traverse in and out of the cockpit. They grab on to the stainless U-pipe (I'm sure there's a better name for that) putting their full weight on it and it seems to give a bit rather than being rock steady like the old days.

If I'm not mistaken that's only held in by the screws in the bottom circle going through the floor of the cockpit and backed with plates. I've stopped using it as a hand hold except in exigent circumstances... should I be concerned?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Strength of the binnacle
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007 17:08 
Skipper

Two years ago, I removed the binnacle and guard to have it re-powder coated. During this process, I also had a new stainless steel plate fabricated for the pulleys because the old Edson plate was rusting quite badly(it was painted steel). The area of the floor at this point is balsa cored and the balsa is exposed when you remove the assembly. There was no signs of rotting but I wanted to prevent it so I used my router with a rabbeting bit to hollow out the balsa and filled with an epoxy slurryto seal things off. The feet for the binnacle guard were just screwed down but now are thru bolted with large fender washers. While I was at it, I installed new electronics with a Nav-pod mounted on the binnacle....Why not since it was all new anyway!!! (at least that's the justification I used) Very Happy
By the way, the new powder coating looks fantastic(as good as new), about $80 to do the binnacle.
At some point, someone will grab the guard and yank themselves up or will be thrown and need to grab ahold of it, so it needs to be quite stable. Might be a good spring project.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007 22:33 
Skipper

Thanks... getting a lot of use out of that router bit I see.
I think that will go high on the list, at least for inspection and remount. When I see someone use it as a hand-hold, I'm starting to imagine where they'd end up if it gave way. Most scenarios are not pretty. (Scrambling for the emergency tiller so you can go get your MOB.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007 18:12 
Midshipman

Regarding removing the binnacle, can you tell me if the gear shift cable is clamped inside the binnacle? Anything to watch out for removing the binnacle?

Doug

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007 06:16 
Skipper

Doug, the cables are clamped to the inside of the tube below the wheel. If you look, there should be a screw on the outside, this is the screw that holds the cables. The end of the cables have a forked fitting and secured with a cotter pin. Be careful removing the compass for the wires that power the light are very small gauge and fragile. When re-installing, don't forget to cross the chain instead of leading it straight down.......I did this and when I tried to steer, it went port instead of starboard!!!! Shocked Just like a tiller all of the sudden!! I had to remove the compass and re-route the chain. Oh well, at least no one was hurt Very Happy

Profile Email