Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - traveler purchase ratio and cleat options

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: traveler purchase ratio and cleat options
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022 16:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

As I'm getting ready to replace my original equipment traveler, I'm wondering about increasing the purchase ratio of the traveler and main sheet.

The current traveler is 3:1, and with that car really needs The Rock to move the danged thing with more than 10 knots of breeze. Has any one increased that ratio to 4:1 or even 5:1? What seems to work best? We are usually double-handed most of the time.

And several of you have mentioned moving the traveler cleating location to the side of the combing - can anyone share pictures? I'd love to be able to play the vang from the helm, or at least be able to dump it in gusts. Love to see what works. I plan on leaving a control on each side, I don't want to have both controls on one side of the boat.

Based on all the discussions here, I'm going to go with Garhauer. Looking for opinions on the MT-2 v MT-UB-2 - it appears both have been chosen by T-37 owners.

While we are at it, has anyone increase the mainsheet purchase? I'm thinking going up to 5:1 or 6:1 will make life a bit easier in our standard Long Island sound breezes without having to use the winch as much.

Appreciate the help.

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: traveler purchase ratio and cleat options
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022 22:13 
Tactictian

I have the stock traveler with 4:1 which is difficult or impossible to move under load. The problem is not the purchase per se, it's the friction on the car. I have a Garhauer replacement and that also is 4:1 but the car has much less friction and I think it will work fine, but I'm a brute so I don't mind pulling hard when I need to.

I don't know exactly how people rig the traveler control lines to the sides of the cockpit combing but it seems to me a simple cam cleat back at the helm position would work. In fact, if there's enough length of run for the line and you wanted to add more purchase you might be able to add a simple 2:1 cascade for fingertip control. But as I said, you might not need it. Generally agree that it would be good to have traveler control within east reach at the helm, esp if single-handing. FWIW I also run my outhaul and vang into the cockpit for easy adjustment.

I contemplated going up one purchase on the mainsheet but there again it might also be the case of too much friction in the system. Larger quality ball bearing blocks would help. Another thing that doesn't help is how spread out the blocks on the boom are longitudinally. This effectively decreases their purchase power.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022 08:07 
Skipper

I have hull 324 and sail single handed most of the time. I replaced the original traveler with a Garhauer 15 or so years ago. No changes to the purchase but the difference in the hardware makes adjustment under load pretty easy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022 13:10 
Skipper

I added a Garhauer 10 years ago and it works great. I made it wider and brought the lines back to near the wheel. There are pictures and info here on the forum, do a search,

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022 09:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks all. I’ll stick with garhauer and a 4:1.

Does anyone know how to remove the rubber stops at each end of the traveler?

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022 20:41 
Able Bodied Seaman

Ah, I little thought and turning the brain on removed the end caps from the traveler. Sorry for the stupid question.

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email