Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Cabin Sole Repair

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 07:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cabin Sole Repair
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021 18:14 
Tactictian

Years of leaking from the port chainplates has lead to my cabin sole rot as shown below. I actually removed most of the rotted area. Now I'm contemplating what to do about it. I really don't want to remove this entire port section of sole to replace it because it seems to involve dismantling much of the interior. I was thinking of just attempting to replace a section. It also seems that the thickness of the sole at the settee vertical is only maybe 3/8". Has anyone completed this type of repair? I do plan on refinishing the rest of the sole at some point. Thoughts on how to do this?

Attachments:
Cabin Sole Rot.jpg
Cabin Sole Rot.jpg [ 3.71 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Cabin Sole Repair
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021 19:31 
Tactictian

Thanks Dave. I've been poking around the internet for information. I think what you said makes sense. I may try to remove the whole thing but I have concerns with fitting the new sole in that area because that section seems to taper in thickness. I also made the mistake of adding up how much I've spent on this refit and it's depressing me.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021 22:05 
Midshipman

This may be more than you want to get into but I have some photos on flicker of this area all exposed.

See photos labeled: Cabin Port Settee Floor Repair and photos 2663,2816,2819,2820.

Flicker link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/141567369@N05/cJ0DBy

If this link does not work I can share the file directly from Flicker to you.

John

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2021 11:02 
Tactictian

Erewhon wrote:
This may be more than you want to get into but I have some photos on flicker of this area all exposed.

See photos labeled: Cabin Port Settee Floor Repair and photos 2663,2816,2819,2820.

Flicker link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/141567369@N05/cJ0DBy

If this link does not work I can share the file directly from Flicker to you.

John

John,

I've looked at your refit photos extensively in the past and I appreciate you posting them. Looking at them is both helpful and daunting. I can't imagine what you paid to have all that work done professionally and I certainly can't afford it! I'm already over $50K into my refit (boat was "free") and I've done almost all the work myself. I still need to re-core the deck and cockpit. That job gives me nightmares because I don't have access to an indoor facility. I hope that you are getting tons of satisfaction from your work!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021 07:57 
Tactictian

Much appreciated Dave! My spacing is the same. I'm still in demo mode but I should have an idea of how much I need later today. I also need a bit more to replace the rotted wood around my mast step. Happy to pay shipping and material costs.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021 18:01 
Tactictian

I cut a section off then picked out all the rotted wood under the settee which was quite a pain in the ass. I'll message you with dimensions Dave.

Attachments:
20211211_164031.jpg
20211211_164031.jpg [ 3.94 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021 15:56 
Tactictian

Lunacy 198 wrote:
Sounds good - the overall dimension of the piece is 23" x 3'.

As the image shows some parts of it are like new, some have a clear coat on it (probably an epoxy) and about 2" of moisture damage at the bottom that might clean up.

PM doesn't seem to have worked. The length I need (longitudinal) is about 2 ft and width about 1 ft but that width measurement needs to start from the end of a holly strip. I could also use a smaller portion to make a new mast step cover since mine rotted out completely. Let me know about shipping and materials costs and I'll send you funds. Thanks again!

Profile Email