Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - That Starboard Coaming Fairlead for Centerboard Pennant

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That Starboard Coaming Fairlead for Centerboard Pennant
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2021 06:55 
Skipper

The black original one. I pulled that out last year - totally wasted where it went through the deck. Fixed everything filled, etc. and replaced with through-bolted stainless. No apparent issues.

Yesterday I was putting down the twisties for the front of the dodger and on the far starboard side on top of the coaming I drilled a tiny hole for the first screw for a twisty. Water shot out. Apparently, water accumulated within the fiberglass coaming. It had sufficient pressure to be bubbling out the hole. I put the wet vac on it and left it. I was horrified when wife said "how much water was that?" I checked the tank. About a quart. Went over everything, no rot. Apparently it is primarily fiberglass in construction and the water hadn't gotten in to any wood, but holy crap. If you've still got that fairlead, lose it. When I pulled down the overhead in the cabin, the poorly (or just worn out) "factory" bedded deck hardware showed clearly where the various pieces leaked. That coaming holds water.

All deck hardware came up, was overdrilled, opened up and re-filled with West System and what . . . 404? Things that needed backing were backed with G10, including the new Muir windlass I'm getting ready to install - there's another thing. I'm all ready to start butchering the foredeck in a heat-soaked frenzy, grab the pattern I'd printed last year, tape it down and I scratched "check scale" on the paper at some point. Good thing I did. Way off. Gave me a cold chill. I mean probably50 mm off printed to "fit the page". Auto sized on the print. Dummy.

I'm cutting new overhead panels and will post photos of the old ones before they go into the dumpster. Thing is, I get to the boat and scan and just pick up somewhere and get things done. I'm now working top down, will get the deck hardware done, lines, dodger, new bimini (assigned task to she-with-the-Sailrite), running lights, electronics, engine controls, then work down through until I get to the thru hulls.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: That Starboard Coaming Fairlead for Centerboard Pennant
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2021 09:26 
Tactictian

Thanks for the tip. I am dreading all the deck repairs I need to make. Already made two but much of the deck is wet and I now have a few soft spots. That one fairlead had been on my mind. Frankly, it's not even necessary.

Profile Email