Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Issue with Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issue with Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021 19:01 
Able Bodied Seaman

Anyone know where I can get a replacement piston for my manual W-C Head-Mate, part #015131? I rebuilt the head about 3 years ago using a W-C 1520 repair kit. Guess I was lucky to find a rebuild kit as they are now "discontinued". The head is in really good shape except that it has "lost" pumping power due to the green ring around the piston has developed crazing. After all these years, would really hate to have to replace the unit because of a failed "O" ring.
Several questions:
1) Has anyone ever run into this problem and/or know where I can locate a rebuild kit or individual parts?
2) Can just the "O" ring be replaced? If so, is there a specific "O" ring that I should use?
3) If it comes to replacing the head, is there a close to "direct replacement" i.e. same footprint, hose configuration, etc. that is available?

Thanks for any input .....

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan
Hull #370

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Issue with Wilcox-Crittenden Head-Mate
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2021 04:50 
Skipper

I finally gave up on mine a few years ago. What I did when I was trying to keep the head mate going was buy the entire pump assembly from thetford (they bought WC a long time ago). But the quality of the parts they were providing was pretty poor. I finally took everything out and replaced it with a Raritan (I think). Never looked back.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2021 14:15 
Skipper

I just looked it up and see that I installed a Raritan PHII head. It wasn’t a “drop in” replacement but it fit just fine. I took that opportunity to replace all the hoses and plumbing arrangement to and from the holding tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2021 11:54 
Able Bodied Seaman

Tom, I sent you and email concerning the piston head.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2021 20:34 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the responses.
I didn't give up and kept looking ..... there had to be some "spare" parts for the discontinued Head-Mate lying around somewhere!
As luck would have it and after hours of searching, I did find a W-C Head-Mate on Ebay that had recently been replaced and looked in good shape. And the best thing is that the owner not only had the used unit, but has a new in the package complete pump assembly and new in the package spare parts kit. I am having the seller remove all components from the bowl (mine is in good shape) and send everything else. Should get the parts later this week.
My W-C is original equipment and has been working great with periodic maintenance for last 21 years that I have owned the boat. Looks like Hooligan is set for at least another 6-8 years before replacement will be required!!! Thanks again -

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan (hull #370)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021 21:23 
Skipper

Be careful of old new stock rubber parts. I bought a new in box Jabsco SW pump for the engine they had it on a clearance table. Got it at Atlantic Yacht Basin, thought I was good to go. So while heading south in the AICW, I replace my SW pump with my shiny pump. Didn't last a minute, the impeller was just total dust. Good luck. I tried Jabsco heads, the pumps didn't last, went thru 4 in 4 years, replacing with new pumps. Replaced that, with Raritan PHII on it's 4th year.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021 16:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have the Wilcox Crittenden 1520 Repair Kit - Headmate that is only missing the pump shaft O ring which I will gladly mail to anyone who needs it. I would rather it goes to someone that deep six it.

Profile Email