Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Strut anode

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strut anode
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021 07:04 
Skipper

When I bought my T37 16 years ago it came from Florida and had an anode on the strut, there was some pitting on it so it looks like it was needed, so I have done the same thing and the anode does get eaten away. In going through our boatyard nobody else seems to have an anode their strut.
The strut in my boat is not attached to the grounding line that runs to the pintle either, but there may be times it maybe leaning against a bolt, depending what is on top of the grounding wire if that makes any difference.

1) So does anyone else have anodes on their strut?
2) If it is not grounded do I need an anode?
3) If the ground is the reason for an anode should the pintle not have one on or should the ground be taken off that part to prevent galvanic corrosion?

thanks for any responses,

Richard
T37 (136)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Strut anode
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021 19:37 
Able Bodied Seaman

We have an anode on the strut. We replaced the strut a few years ago and the old one had one so we copied that. Starting to examine the bonding system now it needs to be upgraded.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021 10:52 
Skipper

So sweetjohn, is your strut grounded?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021 12:27 
Skipper

I have had my T37 for 28 years and replaced the strut 25 years ago and it was pink and had had zincs on it. I keep a big 4" disc on the strut and it gets 20% eaten in a season and I just replace it. Mine is grounded to the system. I think the need for a zinc is very much dependent on where you are. I am on a mooring and it actually burns faster there than in some marinas I have been in. Though in some other marinas replacement was 2X a year--I suspected stray current from a neighbor boat. I would recommend you leave it on and watch it.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021 14:43 
Skipper

Hmm. My boat came from fresh water and the strut looks like new. It's a 1979. I've always been leery of drilling a casting to receive a screw, but it probably makes sense. I thank that coathanger-looking bonding wire that runs end to end in the hull was probably attached to a pintle plate bolt before I tore it all apart.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021 16:11 
Able Bodied Seaman

I looked at ours today and it is not grounded. should it be?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021 20:46 
Skipper

I can't remember if my strut is bonded to the rest of the system. I know the bonding wire leads farther aft as I recently removed it from the backstay chainplate bolt. It's OK, the mast is off the boat and I'm replacing the chainplates.

But I don't have a strut anode. Only two anodes on the shaft that do not decay as fast as other people in the marina. Saltwater.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 May 2021 10:18 
Skipper

sweetjohn wrote:
I looked at ours today and it is not grounded. should it be?

The arguments on bonding go back and forth. You might try it and see what happens. The question would be how would you interpret the results? If you zinc gets eaten, does that mean you have created a battery with the bonding? or does it mean you are saving some other more precious metal on the boat? I don't know the anwer to that. Mine is bonded and I have left it that way. My prop and underwater fittings have survived well for 29 years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 May 2021 18:36 
Skipper

Well I could ground both the strut and the pintle but would only be able to put an anode on the strut, my thought is to not ground either one and keep the anode on. I think its more likely to need an anode if grounded. Wish I knew how it come from the factory,

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 May 2021 07:29 
Skipper

Found this article: https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-c ... 138_05.pdf

What I get out of all this is our underwater fittings (thruhulls etc) should be grounded together and then attached to an anode. I know none of my thruhulls are grounded and they seem in fine shape so I am not changing anything there. I may apply the same logic though and since I have an anode on the strut to attach a wire from the strut to the pintle and this anode should protect both of these "I think". I know when I changed the pintle a few years ago there was some pitting on it.

Thoughts?

Richard

Profile Email