Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Running Rigging Questions

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Running Rigging Questions
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2021 06:27 
Tactictian

Taking the winch off the boom and running the reefing line back to the cockpit is something I will consider now that I'm freeing up space. However, I like the idea of reefing from one location at the mast.

Well, I never said I didn't have an insanely busy day job. I just work on the boat late which is likely contributing to my fatigue. The only thing that's changed for me that has allowed for more time is all 4 kids out of the house now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021 10:04 
Navigator

I spent all day yesterday installing 1/4" G10FR4 backing plates for the new deck hardware. It was a bunch of work (yeah, I know, because it's a boat) and will also require modifications to the headliner because of the extra thickness.

So I woke up at 1:00 am last night thinking, "I should have just used giant fender washers. The old hardware was on the boat for 40 years without backing plates (or fender washers) and without any problem. So the deck can take it..."

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021 07:10 
Skipper

You did the right thing. Fender washers are NOT sufficient to back stanchions, cleats, winches, etc. They are usually thinner than standard washers and will readily deform. They are for low or no-load applications only. Yes, people get away with it for decades. I did it myself. But look at a few that were used and got stressed. You can deform them by just cranking on the fitting. When stress occurs, the center part of the washer ends up bearing the stress, so you might as well use standard washers (not). But when you use the glass (or aluminum) backing plates, just use standard stainless washers as well.

Profile Email