Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard through hull hose

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard through hull hose
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021 18:40 
Skipper

Looking for advice from anyone who has replaced the hose between the centerboard trunk through hull and the stainless pipe. I have the mast out (boat in a shed) and I have taken the pipe out for inspection. How did you go about replacement? It seems that tightening the hose clamps with the hose in place is damn near impossible. Getting it out involved cutting the hose. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Chip Seltzer
#324 Esprit

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard through hull hose
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021 21:17 
Skipper

Since you have the pipe put you should be able to attach the hose to the pipe tighten those hose clamps and then install the unit to the mast step. Once you mate it up with the thru hull you just tighten the last clamps on the thru hull. Sailing Soulianis has a video where they show this in more detail.

I replaced my hose with the mast in place to change the thru hull. I was able to slide the hose further up the stainless tube. I used a small socket on 1/4 drive ratchet and was able to remove the hose clamps that way. I also replaced the thru hull to get the hose back on, but it worked out. not much room for the work so it was a major pain.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021 11:12 
Skipper

Thanks. I may do it that way but it will take some grinding. The hole through the mast step will pass the hose close but not the hose clamps. I can enlarge the opening. I cannot help wonder how they put it together!? Does anyone worry about the proximity of the stainless pipe and the bronze fitting in salt water? The fitting looks fine and the metal comes up shiny bronze (not pink) when I file I so I was going to leave the through hull alone.

Thanks

Chip

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021 11:35 
Skipper

Do you happen to have a link to that video?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021 09:10 
Skipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMujpNw6zc

Disassembly is around the 6 min mark.

I used a 1/4 inch ratchet and was able to tighten in place.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021 19:49 
Skipper

Thanks for that link. I was able to get a 1/4” ratchet into the space to get the hose clamps off. Tough reach though. I’ll figure the best way to put it back together. It wasn’t leaking after 40 years but the hose was dried out and the hose clamps were rusted so it was past time. Once in a lifetime for me! Thanks

Profile Email