Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard Pipe loose

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 20:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard Pipe loose
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021 23:17 
Skipper

I took the hose and the thru hull off the stainless pipe and I'm able to slightly wiggle the pipe by hand and can hear it shaking/vibrating inside of the mast when I move the bottom. I believe the pipe is just held in by 3 screws, which one or another may have worked themselves loose. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue or if there centerboard pipe is rock solid in there. I'd imagine after I put the hose on the bottom that is also going to hold the pipe in place. It would seem to me the loads are primarily pulling the pipe towards the centerboard since the line would be tight on the 90 degree turn. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard Pipe loose
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2021 09:15 
Skipper

Those screws are just self-tappers into fiberglass, and not particularly long at that. You should be fine as long as the hose connection remains fast, double-clamped. You know, even a section of hose running up in there 6' or so (which I know you can't do) would probably suffice, and you wouldn't have the weak link at the clamps. But the stainless pipe (mine is topped with a piece of pvc to take it up another couple of feet) is probably better for a fair run of pennant and you won't have the chance of a kink in a hose.

Mine seems flimsy, but none of the screws has pulled out (yet).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2021 20:25 
Skipper

I just replaced my centerboard hose. The stainless piping on my '80 Tartan had 4 screws holding it to the keel step. The gentle sweep of the piping allows the pennant to move freely. I feel confident that IF your current screws are not corroded, you have enough glass material under there to go up one size with new screws.
Attachment:
IMG_20210123_095226486.jpg

IMG_20210123_095226486.jpg [ 2.98 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

And yes, there is a piece of PVC attached to the top of the stainless steel.
Attachment:
IMG_20210123_095232946.jpg

IMG_20210123_095232946.jpg [ 2.38 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

We bought a dollar play ball from wallyworld and stuck it down the deck collar. Then we covered the ball with an old cheap raincoat and secured the raincoat with hose clamps. Then we used our fender pump to pressurize the ball so it wouldn't slip out.

Now if it was just that easy to seal the mast when it gets back.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021 11:22 
Tactictian

"I feel confident that IF your current screws are not corroded, you have enough glass material under there to go up one size with new screws."

Yes, this worked for us. When we took the mast out the pipe was wiggling with 1 loose and 3 stripped screws. I bought the next size up screws, enlarged the holes in the stainless mounting flange and the fiberglass step, and it all went together just like new.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2021 04:56 
Skipper

I want to clarify. My mast is not removed so I cannot currently replace the screws.

I just replaced the thru hull with a fiberglass pipe and was able to change the hose due to the extra room I got by removing the thru hull.

I guess my question is whether this is worth pulling my mast to fix this?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2021 08:30 
Skipper

As the phrase "whatever floats your boat" applies to choice, "whatever sinks your boat," to me, provides few options. Even if you're all set with all rigging, etc., and a full un-step is unnecessary, just lifting the mast up far enough to do the work quickly and dropping it back down would likely be a very good idea. Seawater tops out in that stainless/pvc pipe at the outside water level. A rigorous re-do of that very weak link is always advisable. I also think the idea of a hard rubber ball or bow-tied pipe insulation over the pipe to keep that pipe relatively centered inside the mast is a good idea. Look at your pennant, hose, etc. at the same time. Or take the opportunity to take the mast down, carefully inspect and replace what you feel needs replacing.

Or you may be able to satisfy yourself with what you've got to work with without un-stepping the spar. I'm just a stickler.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021 23:27 
Tactictian

The boat isn't in danger of sinking if the pipe is loose and wiggles around when you lift and drop the board. So loose screws don't seem an immediate danger.

Unless, of course, the movement of the pipe causes a hose or hose clamp to fail. And that kinda depends on how messed up things are in where you can't s them. So it really is a question of how you balance risk versus cost.

Whichever way you choose is probably reasonable.

Profile Email