Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Holding the Centerboard Up when the mast is taken down.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 13:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holding the Centerboard Up when the mast is taken down.
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007 16:07 
Rail Meat

About every other time I have the mast pulled to put Skylark on the hard, I run into trouble keeping the centerboard pendant from getting caught between the centerboard and the trunk.
My usual procedure is to tie a line under the bottom of the boat where it catches the raised centerboard about 2/3 of the way down its length. It is supposed to act as a strap to keep the centerboad up when I have to let the the pendant go to pull the mast. Sometimes it works.
I have had the same problem putting the boat back in the water in the spring. Sometimes the truck slides the rope off as the boat slides off the truck letting the centerboard fall.

Any help? Bill on Skylark 1981 #294

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Holding the Centerboard Up when the mast is taken down.
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007 21:26 
Skipper

I think you need to keep the tension on the pendant, when the mast is high enough out of the boat tie the pendant to something.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007 20:23 
Skipper

I have yet had the fun of such an adventure, but I would consider using two/ four wooden wedges and jam the centerboard in place. This could be done in he water, but most likely when the boat is in the slings then you could lower the boat down when you're ready to pull the mast.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2007 08:39 
Midshipman

Me again Bill... also a 1981... although I doubt that's important with this question. I take my mast down about every 4-5 years here in MI to check all the fittings and cotter pins, etc..

I've never had a problem with the CB pennant. When the mast comes out, I simply lower the CB and put a small line/loop up through the block/hole on the mast so that I can re-string the pennant at launch time.

When the mast is out I crank the CB up as usual from the cockpit using the winch. The penant rubs against the deck collar but as soon as the boat is on the cradle, I release the tension. As such, the movement of the CB is no different than in the water with the mast up. In the spring, I just reverse the process. I'm wondering if you have the rubber hose over the penant that runs over the top of the board? I think this is shown in the owners manual. That should keep the penant from getting caught.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email