Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard Thru Hull

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 03:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard Thru Hull
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021 21:14 
Skipper

We splashed today after working in the yard for a few months and I noticed some weeping from the centerboard thru hull around the bronze nut at the base of the thru hull. I searched through the forums and didn't find a lot of information on how to replace/reseal the thru hull. My thought is this was leaking before we hauled, we just didn't catch it because I thought water in the area was from the anchor locker.

1. Does the centerboard have to be removed to replace the thru hull or am I going to have to remove it to get access to the top of the box if I am blocked high enough. I just had the board out and repaired it, so removing and replacing wouldn't be too bad and that would probably be the best way to do it.
2. Can you replace the thru hull without removing the mast? I'm confused on how you would get the hose back on the thru hull and the stainless steel tube since there isn't much room there. I'm thinking maybe I could just push the hose further back on the stainless tube to get some room for a new hose and then slide it back down to get it on the thru hull.
3. Is the fitting just a mushroom thru hull sealed with sealant. I've seen some posts talking about this fitting being glassed into the hull. One post mentioned the sides were ground down to fit in the trunk can anyone confirm?
4. I believe the thru hull is 1 inch. Has anyone seen any different sizes?
5. How would you clean the area inside of the centerboard box so you can get a good seal with the new thru hull? Seems like access would be an issue. Does it make sense to cut a hole inside of the top of the boat in the raised section in the floor right in front of it to get access to the thru hull?

Here is a video so you can see the leak in a bit more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8Bk-KSVe8

I'm thinking we are going to have to haul back out to take care of this in the next few days.
Bummer that this is going to be a round trip back into the yard.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard Thru Hull
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021 22:33 
Skipper

Also does anyone know the ID of the hose that is used to connect the thru hull and the steel pipe? Since I believe the ID of the Thru hull is 1 inch it would need to be larger to fit properly on the two pieces.

What type of hose did you use for replacement?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 11:21 
Navigator

I have a somewhat related question: I noticed yesterday that we have some water coming down into the bilge from under the mast step. I'm guessing it's either coming from the centerboard pennant hose connection to the stainless pipe (which would be bad), or from the anchor locker (that would be much better).

I haven't traced the path that water dripping off the anchor chain will take on its way to the bilge pump. Does it go under the mast step or around it?

To answer Feliz's questions, there's no way I could get to the hose clamps on the hose to stainless connection without pulling the mast out. And the hose is too stiff and short to get off the thru-hull while the rest of it is in place. With the mast out, it was easy to undo the thru-hull hose clamps, unscrew the stainless pipe, and pull the pipe and hose out together.

The helpful posts here on the forum were:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1666
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128

The second one mentions "You will want to closely inspect the centerboard trunk through hull as this was originally just threaded pipe fibreglassed into the centerboard trunk. I think the threaded pipe came from the ?plumbers supply house??" That sounds like it might not be a removable thru-hull at all. Crying or Very sad

I bought a 1" ID replacement hose at an auto-parts store.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 11:48 
Skipper

Water from the anchor locker does drain under the mast on its way to the bildge. Rain water down the mast also goes there.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 17:49 
Skipper

If this is pipe glassed into the hull it sounds like I would need to cut it out to replace anyway. I could potentially cut a hole in the top of the trunk to get access and remove the pipe. That would let me either glass in a G10 tube or 4200 in a mushroom through hull. If I cut a hole should I cut it behind the thru hull or just cut that out from the top?

I'm able to reach the hose clamps on the steel pipe with a 1/4 socket so I think I will be able to get those loosened.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 20:17 
Skipper

I just removed the hose because we are pulling the mast this week while we are on the hard. It was an old hose and I cut it down the side to remove it as I was not going to reuse the hose. Both the mast and the centerboard pipes were in good shape. And I looked because one of the members here had an issue with corrosion on the centerboard side.

I have not measured the hose for replacement yet but the section under the mast step was longer than the section on the centerboard trunk. It appears the hose slides up on the mast side during installation and then is slid over the centerboard trunk and clamped down. Hopefully, the new hose will go on this easily. (yeah, right)

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 20:36 
Skipper

That is my thought since I have to remove the thru hull to fix the leak is to slide a new hose up the stainless section with dish soap and then slide it back. To get it onto the newly installed through hull or g10 glassed in.

I think I will need to cut an access hole slightly behind the through hull to accomplish removing the old one.

Looking for advice from anyone who has done this. It seems like the experience is mostly around the stainless tube.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021 23:28 
Skipper

If I do use G10, do you think I should sleeve the pipe with some UHMW plastic or won't it really matter?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021 19:04 
Skipper

I'm not completely clear on what you did. You had a bronze pipe (not a mushroom through hull). You put a nut inside the centerboard trunk and tightened the threads from the inside of the bolt by spinning the through hull and the nut didn't move? Then this was connected to a hose barb connector that was screwed into the pipe.

Or did you just replace the pipe with pipe and screw the hose onto the threads. I'm not a huge fan of that configuration since it's hose on pipe threads but that seems to be OEM.

It sounds like I may be able to pop out the through hull and get a new one snaked in by removing the board.

I bought a bunch of supplies online yesterday. A new bronze thru hull, some g10 tubing and some uhmw to sleeve the G10 if I go that route.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021 15:28 
Skipper

I'm leaning towards cutting an access hole at the top of the box in the floor. I am assuming I will have to drop the board to undo the pendant etc and may take it off since I'm not sure how high in the trunk the board rides. E.g. if I cut the top of the box off am I going to hit the board when I cut into it.

Profile Email