Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Waste Cap replacement from below

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waste Cap replacement from below
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020 15:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have been playing phone tag with Tartan for tech support so I’m reaching out to you guys/gals to see if you’ve had this issue.

I cannot open the waste cap to pump out my future waste. There is no mascerator/Y valve installed. I have tried everything from heat, hammers and a transmission fluid/acetone mix. It’s time to dismantle my v-berth and replace the waste cap for hose unit.

I don’t want to take apart more than I need to. Has anyone had to replace this entire part? There is no access from the hanging locker. It looks like I may have access above the locker at the back of the shelf if I drill out some bungs and remove a trim “box”? Any opinions, even if you’ve not had to replace this deckware, much appreciated. Thanks.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Waste Cap replacement from below
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020 17:09 
Skipper

I did take that box apart a few years ago when refitting the head and hoses. It isn’t that big a deal but it is the only way to get to that fitting from below. Mine was stuck as well but I managed to get the cap off. Lucky I guess.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020 20:59 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you for confirming that that’s the route to go for this. Now let’s hope the hose comes off easily.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020 06:58 
Skipper

A drizzle of PB blaster into the rim of the cap every day for 4 days. Maybe even a week. Then an appropriate tool and a hammer. I'm replacing the vent in that area, and it's all tight and limited access. But doable.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020 13:21 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks Maineiac. I tried that for a week but it didn’t work and then someone on the Cruisers Forum suggested the tranny fluid/acetone combo but after a week that didn’t work either. At this point I am going to take that box out to access the hose and the waste cap unit. Crossing my fingers that the hose comes off relatively easy and I can reuse it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020 16:34 
Skipper

Just replace the deck fill. The box comes apart in a couple minutes, had mine apart several times very straight forward. Acetone and ATF, is about the same as PB Blaster. Undo the hose clamps and try to twist the hose off, sometimes a heat gun helps to get the hose off. Once you get the four screws out, lift the deck fill up with a 5 in 1 tool or scraper. It might actually come up with the hose on and that makes it easier to remove hose topside. On New deck fill, coat o-ring with some teflon grease. Also coat the inside of the balsa core with sealant or epoxy, before reinstalling.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020 17:44 
Skipper

Yeah. A new one is about $30.00.

Profile Email