Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What's a reasonable price? Bottom job and chainplates

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's a reasonable price? Bottom job and chainplates
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 09:58 
Navigator

Ahoy. We've signed the contracts and are looking forward to closing on our T37 next week. The surveyor recommended two jobs before we launch her:

1. stripping the bottom and getting it repainted
2. remove, replace, and rebed chainplates

I got a quote from the boatyard in California where we'll be launching the yacht. To sandblast the bottom, apply 2 coats of epoxy barrier, apply 2 coats of Petit Trinidad, and clean up the mess, they want $12,000. To remove and replace the chainplates they want $9,000.

Both prices were something like 3 to 4 times more expensive than we anticipated. Are we clueless? Is the yard over-estimating? What sort of prices do people actually pay? I can find lots of internet posts about how boatyards are expensive and people save money by doing the work themselves. But nobody actually seems to post numbers.

Thanks for the help. This board is pretty great.
Mike

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What's a reasonable price? Bottom job and chainplates
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 10:24 
Tactictian

Mike,
First of all congrats on your purchase of a T37.
They are great boats.

$12k appears high for an bottom paint job.
Perhaps there’s extra costs coating in California.
You may want to shop around.

Back in 2018, I was putting a coat of Micron CSC bottom paint. The marina manager asked me if I wanted my bottom paint stripped to the hull and painted six coats. They were in the process of blasting another boat with glass beads.
I’d get a break in price if done together. They quoted me $5,500.00 at the time.

My boat is in Bayfield Ws.- Apostle Islands, about 90 miles east of Duluth, Mn. On the South shore of Lake Superior.

I passed, since I have no blisters and Lake Superior is pretty chilly waters, not much growth.

I don’t have any idea about chain plates. Yet eager to hear from others as well.
I hope this helps.

Good luck.
Nick,
S/ V Angela Mia
Hull # 336
Lake Superior

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 10:53 
Tactictian

Mike,
First of all congrats on your purchase of a T37.
They are great boats.

$12k appears high for an bottom paint job.
Perhaps there’s extra costs coating in California.
You may want to shop around.

Back in 2018, I was putting a coat of Micron CSC bottom paint. The marina manager asked me if I wanted my bottom paint stripped to the hull and painted six coats. They were in the process of blasting another boat with glass beads.
I’d get a break in price if done together. They quoted me $5,500.00 at the time.

My boat is in Bayfield Ws.- Apostle Islands, about 90 miles east of Duluth, Mn. On the South shore of Lake Superior.

I passed, since I have no blisters and Lake Superior is pretty chilly waters, not much growth.

I don’t have any idea about chain plates. Yet eager to hear from others as well.
I hope this helps.

Good luck.
Nick,
S/ V Angela Mia
Hull # 336
Lake Superior

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 13:11 
Skipper

madmike wrote:
Ahoy. We've signed the contracts and are looking forward to closing on our T37 next week. The surveyor recommended two jobs before we launch her:

1. stripping the bottom and getting it repainted
2. remove, replace, and rebed chainplates

I got a quote from the boatyard in California where we'll be launching the yacht. To sandblast the bottom, apply 2 coats of epoxy barrier, apply 2 coats of Petit Trinidad, and clean up the mess, they want $12,000. To remove and replace the chainplates they want $9,000.

Both prices were something like 3 to 4 times more expensive than we anticipated. Are we clueless? Is the yard over-estimating? What sort of prices do people actually pay? I can find lots of internet posts about how boatyards are expensive and people save money by doing the work themselves. But nobody actually seems to post numbers.

Thanks for the help. This board is pretty great.
Mike

Yards with high demand can charge anything they want. I pay about $200 mast out and back in for my T37 in Maine. In the Virgin Islands it is $1200. Got to pay for that crane.

The bottom job is beyond the pale. I'd want the decks and topsides painted with awlgrip and clearcoated as well for that price. I just did mine with paint stripper and a 4' floor scraper from Harbor Freight, then a buzz with a DA and 80 grit. 4 coats of barrier coat and I've got 5 more gallons of Micron 66 to go on (which will wait until Spring). Probably $4000.00 in very pricey paint (M-66 is hard paint, almost $400/gallon) and supplies. The rest is low wage scratching labor.

I would NOT have the bottom "sandblasted." I don't even like glass beads that well. If not handled by the yard monkey correctly, the fiberglass can get heated to the point of serious detriment. Last blast job I did (with my own soda blaster) took a half a day. You can cut a hole through the boat with bicarbonate of soda as well, so it's an art.

I don't know what 316 stainless costs these days, but four of the chainplates are easy and 2 of them have a funky weld in them. Last time I did all (abeam) chainplates on a boat it was an Endeavour 40 about 15 years ago and it cost $1000.00. I did the removal and install. So yeah, even at $100/hr. for labor, I can't even get to half that quote on the chains.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 08:03 
Skipper

I guess I'd have to say that I didn't spend that much on bottom work, glass work (a 2' hole I cut in the bow to repair where a previous owner hit a concrete dock) and painting combined, including the yard bill, at the Fields Landing Boatyard in Norcal. Did this baby up stem to stern, 90% alone. But that was over 10 years ago. She's crabbing out of San Fran now (sighhhh).

Your issue is a supply and demand problem. Yards have been going up up up. Search here for someone that had T37 chainplates made up by a Rigger in FL awhile back. Take out, ship to them, ship back, done. I'm damn sure they weren't $9,000.00. Doing the removal/install yourself really helps your knowledge base on the boat and is a confidence builder. Bottom stripping and painting not so much.

Attachments:
1976-uniflite-custom-navy-utility-boat--1.jpg
1976-uniflite-custom-navy-utility-boat--1.jpg [ 37.36 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 11:53 
Tactictian

You don't mention the year or the hull number and I wouldn't expect you mention the price paid. It has been my approach when buying a boat of the vintage of all the Tartan 37's that a survey is usually a moot point. You get what you pay for and there should be no surprises for a knowing buyer. I would question a surveyor recommending a total hull strip and epoxy barrier etc., etc. I think you will find that the boats that have sunk from blisters are few and far between. How long had the boat been on the hardstand and for that matter how long had it been immersed? I would give a scuff and paint and sail the boat to understand more your needs and expectations. Save the major re-fit stuff a little further down the road. Sail and understand your new boat and prepare yourself for the things that are urgent. The chainplates are an issue that has been dealt with many times on this forum and there is a wealth of information around. You can do the work yourself. It's not rocket science or you can enlist the yard of your choice when you are not a "captive audience". I got my Tartan for a decent price and I have never been in a position to be able to or want to pay $21,000 for work that I can try myself. You can make a lot of mistakes for that kind of money and learn a wealth more. Good luck, stay positive and welcome to the fold. They really are remarkable little vessels

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 16:23 
Skipper

My bottom job in Florida was $3K in January 2020.

I'm getting a brand new stainless steel nose piece for $900, installed. Hurricane Sally ripped off both bow chocks and a section of the old aluminum nose piece.

So personally, I would RUN, not walk away from your current location.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 17:51 
Navigator

Thank you all for the helpful replies. We've been well forewarned that boats are expensive. We're trying to get oriented on the scale of the situation. Very Happy

Just to clarify, our surveyor did caution, "Don't let them sell you an expensive barrier coat. Yards always want to do that." And once we shared our sticker shock at these quotes, he said, "Forget what I said before. Throw on one coat of ablative paint and go sailing for a year or two."

Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2020 14:48 
Rail Meat

Congratulations on your Tartan purchase.
I just relaunched my Tartan 37 last week after major blister repair which i did myself 750 hours about $3500 in materials and haul out yard cost at a inexpensive diy yard about 8 gal of west system epoxy, 5100 bi axle mat n roving combined. 3 fairings with west system microballoons and 6 barrier coats of west system with their barrier coat additive. Trinidad SR 65% copper 3 coats. Biaxle cloth used Very strong in all more than small blister repairs. 19 months on the hard. Anyone willing to do that job
Earns all of what they charge.
I only do fiberglass work for myself . After doing that job i would never do that job again. Centerboard was dropped and 35 to 40 blisters on 1 side about 7 on the other.
I found out through research water inside of wet bilges can contribute to excess moisture that can cuase blistering as well. Not good that mine was neglected 8 years by to busy to have time be cared .

Good luck on your repair. I agree with stripping down all when done right if i were to do again i would have had stripped down very time consuming sanding off old bottom and previous 2 coat barrier coat which didnt protect anything, and gel coat to expose bare fiberglass.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020 22:16 
Skipper

I would be very careful about taking the advice about putting a "barrier coat" on a boat that has just come out of the water. I bought my T37 28 years ago at a bargain price (for the time) because it had thousands of small blisters on it. As it turns out, the blisters were caused by a barrier coat put on the bottom when the boat was not entirely dry. This forced water into the gelcoat and separated the the gelcoat from the fiberglass beneath. This required removing all the gelcoat (5 month in the yard and $14K to lay on a new glass bottom and get it faired.). If the hull is dry maybe a barrier coat is a good idea, but certainly cost the previous owner and me some big bucks.
Ray Durkee
Velera #373

Profile Email