Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rocna 20 and bow roller

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 11:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocna 20 and bow roller
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020 08:06 
Skipper

I've been trying to figure out how to get the Rocna (44#) 20 and Kingston double roller bow roller to mount. The amount of potential leverage is disconcerting. So I guess I'm going to return the 20 to Hamilton and get a 15 (33#). I have a 35# CQR and a Fortress 15(? oversized, but nice and light) to go with. Push comes to shove and I'll set 2 anchors and take the weight off the bow. The Defender recommended Kingston bow roller DOES NOT FIT THE ROCNA 44. I can't adjust it or do anything that effectuates the use of both rollers. The shank is too wide and it fetches up on the forward base of the roller as it enters the deck. Unless someone wants to chime in and stop me, that's the plan. Somebody STOP me!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rocna 20 and bow roller
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020 18:28 
Skipper

35lb CQR, 50’ 3/8” chain, 250’ 5/8” NER nylon, 200’ extra nylon in the lazarette. Big Danforth with tackle backup / secondary. Anchored in some pretty nasty shit and never a problem. How far do you go before you are overkill?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020 20:02 
Skipper

True on the overkill. Just following the Rocna chart into the "cleanest" zone if she weighs 20K loaded for cruising. The Rocna 15 is on the lower end, but still within the "use it" zone. But I've got the backups. I lived for 15 years in the Caribbean. Anchoring is just asking for it in heavy, heavy weather. 5 sandscrews and a swivel, with a good, stretchy hawser or you might as well forget it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020 19:53 
Skipper

Weight on the bow of a T37, absolutely kills it. We use a 35lb Manson on a single roller. Was using 25ft, 5/16", but just went to 80ft. We got wrapped around a coral head last year we were in the Bahamas, scared me. We did fine with the 35lb'er.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020 07:24 
Skipper

I returned the 44# Rockna to Hamilton and they're getting me the 33# (15). BUT I may be going to the dark side and not taking the boat to the Virgin Islands. Lightly used charter boat 2001. The plan was to head out in about a month. I've got too many projects to complete on the house to sell it (or rent it). At the same time, an "opportunity" came up. A 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey at about half price (gentleman refitting passed away Stateside, fire sale). It's already there, and as soon as the Admiral saw the stern and the ability to step into the water, and save a couple months pounding down the ICW (in lieu of income generation plus costs of the trip down) she was sold. It needs standing rigging and a new furler. 56hp Yanmar with 500 hours. Gorgeous below decks, with all the bells and whistles. A Tartan in Maine where it belongs and a cruising boat below. The thing has a brand new air conditioning system (which I really, really don't care about), new sails and comes with a storage unit full of every kind of gear and tools you can imagine. I raced a Sun Regatta 39 frac rig years ago, as well as a 56DS. They're O.K., and the fact you can get on and off without climbing hard tickled the wife. I actually had decided against it by Thursday night. She wants it. Probably will put BOTH on Yachtworld within the next month just to see where we're at. I'll lose on the Tartan, no doubt, with all the cash I've dumped into it, but the gain on the Jeanneau would be quite a bit. And if I don't sell, so much the better.

Profile Email