Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - CB thru-hull hose

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB thru-hull hose
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 21:01 
Tactictian

I've been working on #240 for 2 months straight now. Naturally I've been finding a lot of issues, especially as I get into one project and it spins off into three or four others. I had yet to inspect the center board thru hull and made a point to do so today after speaking with a local rigger who told me that while replacing the pipe on a different t37 the hose disintegrated as he was removing the pennant pipe. He showed me the through hull fitting and the pipe itself which was heavily pitted and had pinholes. Additionally, the flange welded onto the pipe wasn't bad shape because of a sub-par stainless weld where overheating nearly melted the joint. After pulling the floorboard and looking carefully I noticed how rusty the forward hose clamps were. The hose itself has not been replaced in the 30 years my father-in-law has owned the boat! I decided to carefully remove one of the hose clamps and replace it. It was loose to begin with which tells me that the hose itself has degraded substantially. My question is am I playing Russian roulette by cruising this boat this fall? What precautions would folks take in this circumstance?

Attachments:
IMG_20200904_111852.jpg
IMG_20200904_111852.jpg [ 3.4 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20200908_161114.jpg
IMG_20200908_161114.jpg [ 3.48 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: CB thru-hull hose
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020 05:10 
Skipper

My last boat had a stainless pennant with a thru-hull arrangement of turning blocks. This set up is much simpler and in my opinion, much less prone to failure. You do have to give it a “one time” fix though. Esprit (324) is out for the same job. I am going to take it apart and replace what looks worn / degraded and put it back together for another 35 years of service. That will take me to an even 100 years old and if the boat sinks out from under me then, I guess it was just fate! These boats are good cruising boats but they are 40 years old. They are going to need attention.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020 12:16 
Skipper

Thankfully, mine is a freshwater boat that only recently hit salt water. While everything looks good, and she's on the hard, I might just run a messenger (mast is stepped) and pull the hose off. The stainless piping looks good. But there's only 1 hose clamp on each end of the heavy duty hose.

I've been banging on the thru hull valves as well. It's a habit. Grab it, try to rattle it. While they are older, each opens and closes smoothly and does not appear to be problematic.

I was looking at another T37 the other day, 10 years newer, and the shaft strut felt much lighter - maybe thinner - to the touch and was pinkish all over. Not as heavy a piece of bronze as my old boat. I told them I'd probably replace it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020 20:01 
Skipper

How much load? I pull mine up by hand. I don’t use the winch unless I am sailing and there is a side load on the board. I think the design (Olin Stephens) is brilliant.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 07:19 
Skipper

My board is quite heavy. I might be able to raise it by hand, the function is smooth, but . . . no. As I recall, I gauged it at about 150#. The lower end is all lead.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 08:40 
Skipper

Stock centerboard. Same as everyone else. Same 2-1 purchase that came with the boat. I grab a handful of the leader and give it a good pull and the board comes up smoothly to a "clunk" at the top. 2 turns around the winch and onto the cleat. Again, if there is any side load, no way but my point is that the system is well designed. There is no undue load on that 90 degree bearing point. If the SS tubing is corroded or suffers from bad welds, that is another story. I am looking forward to being able to get mine out so I can do the (hopefully) "once in a lifetime" maintenance. I'll bet if you try it, you will find that you can also pull your board up without the winch.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 09:33 
Tactictian

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm of the mind of "don't mess with it now" but have a plug ready on the spot (which it should have anyway!). I will be pulling the board for a complete overhaul this fall and inspecting all associated equipment. I'll take the SS pipe out and inspect. Luckily I employ a great welder who can help me fix or fabricate a new one if necessary.

The load on the pennant is not that great. I got tired of the crappy 2:1 to a winch arrangement and rigged a 6:1 cascade with low friction blocks. I can pull it up by hand even with a side load and I suspect the effort will decrease once I replace the sheave in the mast and clean out the slot (maybe add some HMPDE material on the board when I refinish/fair).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 10:41 
Skipper

This may go without saying, but don't use a ball bearing sheave. I've seen people do it. If you never use your centerboard, the bearings could flatten over time with the tension on them and the sheave stop turning. Same at the masthead.

Profile Email