Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Winches

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winches
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020 08:25 
Skipper

Just finished my 9th winch cleaning/service at 6:30 this morning. Except for the two Lewmar 46 ST's at the cockpit, every winch was different. Some with 2 pawls, some with 4, some with 5 and some with 6. Single speeds, two speeds, ST 2 speeds, ST single speed, etc. Some with pawls on top, some with pawls on the main shaft. Hadn't thought about winches in many years, and reassembly often went down the wrong road, but we got 'em. I see the general theme, but those Lewmar engineers certainly come up with many, many creative ways to utilize gears and pawls. Talk about DIRTY. The cabintop 2 speeds were absolutely nasty. They all look new now, and click nicely. I need a new toothbrush. WAY too much (and maybe wrong kind of) grease in the new 16ST I bought from Defender ("display model"). I cleaned that one out and regreased all of them with a film, careful not to monkey up the pawls. FIVE different times pawl springs took off on a wander as I was assembling or disassembling. Two of those, if I hadn't noticed a ripple in the nearby diesel cleaning bucket, would have been lost. Next time I'll get new springs anyway.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Winches
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020 18:42 
Skipper

I have taken my Lewmar 48s apart many times and used a lot of different lubes. I prefer basic marine axle grease over the lighter marine greases that seem to wash out rather easily. I use the lighter Teflon grease on the pawls. Most of the marine greases (with the exception of the turquoise stuff) seem to be too water soluable. But you need to take them all apart ever few years and clean (in diesel) and replace the grease. No option.
Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2020 08:09 
Skipper

Found a bag of 10 new pawl springs in a pile of stuff. Almost invisible, which is why I missed them before. I put a dab of light oil on the pawls and don't hesitate to lift the drums to look occasionally. I guess you're supposed to replace the springs with each service. I'm sure I've go over 20 to replace.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2020 16:19 
Skipper

I don't think you need to replace the pawn springs every tear down and cleaning. I switch to using the Lewmar grease on everything but the pawns. There I use a light synthetic oil, that has worked very well. Back in the old days, +40 years ago on a Grand Prix racer. We would rebuild every couple months and only used 3-in-one oil, for less fiction. Later as we got less competitive and went back to Lewmar or Harken lube. It's amazing how fast you can clean and lube, the light oil. By the way kerosene or diesel fuel and an old toothbrush to get in the bearings works well on cleaning a winch.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020 08:47 
Skipper

I use diesel for everything, including cleaning the old polysulfide off cleat bases. Let it soak and everything slides off. Then wash down with dish soap and water, rinse, rinse, rinse, let dry and grease (not the cleats, obviously).

Guido at Garhauer is building me a new traveler with vertical blocks at the traveler ends for control lines, down to the deck, turn and go to cam cleats either side of the companionway. Mainsheet will lead forward, turn and likewise come back to port of the companionway. I'll keep the halyards at the mast for now, and figure out how to set up the reefs. The less mess in the cockpit, the happier I am, and I don't mind going forward.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2020 12:55 
Midshipman

Maneiac,

I too replaced my traveler with a Garhauer. It was a little longer, but they made (or maybe already had, I can't recall 12 years ago) deckmount brackets to hold the ends. So my traveler is raised an inch or so above the deck rather than sitting on the deck and bolted into it. The brackets i throughbolted with backing plates. FYI, I led both lines to the stbd side of the companionway and through rotating cam cleats. Having both lines side by side allows very easy traveler adjustments. You might consider it.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2020 08:30 
Skipper

Hmmm. Contemplating. My mind is hung into the reactionary going for the end of the traveler (port, starboard) that needs to be let down after years of racing. But I can see the usefulness of one side or the other together.

I just have to keep Garhauer moving. Everything they do is "custom," so a daily followup seems to work with keeping it going. Same thing with the hard vang we're "designing" what with the centerboard sheave in the way.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2020 17:12 
Rail Meat

I just recently purchased this boat and have not sailed it yet. This is how the traveler and dodger are set up on my boat.

Are you saying that we'll have issues with way this is configured to run through the eisenglass eventually?

John

Attachments:
20200713_111841_HDR.jpg
20200713_111841_HDR.jpg [ 5.02 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
20200713_103457_HDR.jpg
20200713_103457_HDR.jpg [ 3.58 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2020 20:39 
Tactictian

John,
I believe my traveler and lines lead aft the same way you are rigged. No problems here in 4 seasons .

Cheers,
Nick
S/V Angela Mia
# 336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2020 21:46 
Midshipman

Dave,

I will post a couple pictures this weekend. My lines exit the traveler on the stb end and go through the dodger. When I ordered my traveler it was an option configuration. My dodger is the same age, 10 years old, and there’s simply two round holes which the lines go through. It’s an inelegant solution by the guy who made my dodger, and I’ve never liked it but missed my opportunity to have him correct it before I paid him and left the area - Charleston SC.

Having said that, the holes have never enlarged or become damaged. The lines never make contact with the dodger while in use.

If you want the lines led under the dodger I’d suggest the bottom edge of your dodger be cut higher where the lines lead back to the cockpit. I’m assuming you would have to fashion a fair lead of your control lines exiting the traveler, and bear in mind the more blocks and turns the more friction you’re introducing. My Garhauer traveler adjusts like the proverbial butter. My old traveler, which was original (1977 Hull #22), was a bear to bring up when the main was loaded. No problems now, which means I’m less tempted to tolerate bad position. Sadly, I would hesitate before.

The question of having both control lines on one side of the companionway vs the more traditional way of one on each side is probably mostly preference, but I single hand a lot and i find having both lines together to be much simpler, especially in the dark. I’m not fishing around trying to get a hand on both lines with a good angle to pull/ease. I position to the stbd side to adjust the traveler, and then move to port to ease or tighten the main sheet.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email