Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Center board Required

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 09:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Center board Required
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2020 10:17 
Rail Meat

Gander lost her board in the early morning hours about 15 nm off the coast and about 40 miles south of Cape May. An impact with something very hard was the cause. Davey Jones has it now.

Does anyone have engineering drawings or does anyone know of a another center board for sale?

Thanks,
Jeff (jjfarber)
Gander USCG vessel 1064419

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Center board Required
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2020 13:59 
Tactictian

Jeff,
Worst case, I belive that Tartan sells replacement centerboards for our T37s for around $2,900 plus shipping and taxes.

My CB is beat up a bit, and on the “ List “...
Good luck.
Nick
S/V Angela Mia
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2020 19:53 
Skipper

Gander won't point quite as well but she will sail decently without the centerboard. When we bought Impetuous, her centerboard was snapped in two at the top of the weight. We sailed her for a bit while waiting on the board to arrive at the yard. Be dammed if I can recall the price we paid.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020 08:30 
Skipper

Jjfarber wrote:
Gander lost her board in the early morning hours about 15 nm off the coast and about 40 miles south of Cape May. An impact with something very hard was the cause. Davey Jones has it now.

Does anyone have engineering drawings or does anyone know of a another center board for sale?

Thanks,
Jeff (jjfarber)
Gander USCG vessel 1064419

Do tell! That musta puckered you up. Did it part the pennant or did you cut it loose? Did it take the whole board and pivot assembly or just break the board? I've had bad dreams about the loose pivot pin threads letting go and the board hanging under the boat beating on the hull. Really. Something I dreamt. Which reminded me to attach a razor sharp dive knife to the binnacle. That Dyneema I got for the centerboard ain't gonna break.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021 16:39 
Rail Meat

Apologies about not looking back to see if I got answers. I am impressed with the response. Thanks everyone.

As for the incident: it is still too raw. Let's just say - you can't sleep when a large weight in the form of a center board is pounding against the hull...it must be stopped immediately or you will never get enough rest to take your watch.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021 19:14 
Midshipman

I almost exclusively sail with the board down unless running in relatively flat seas or too shallow.. Primarily reason is to dampen role, secondary is pointing and leeway when beating. Although I have not measured leeway yet. Goin to this summer.

Ran into a couple a that raced there T37 a lot and they said that in almost all points of sail the boat was faster with board down, even off the wind.

John

Profile Email