Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Source for Traveler end bolts

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 21:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for Traveler end bolts
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020 14:25 
Skipper

Turns out I need 7" 1/4-20 flatheads. Actually, 6 3/4" might do it. The Garhauer traveler is that much taller than the old Schaefer (6"). Can't find a source. I find myself fondling 304 stainless 1/4 20 threaded rod, trying to figure out how to make it work. Source of long bolts? Everyone seems to stop at 6".

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Source for Traveler end bolts
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020 15:28 
Skipper

You're right not seeing anything over 6". These guys are my go to and don't have it. https://www.boltdepot.com/Machine_screw ... _4-20.aspx

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020 17:41 
Skipper

All my searches on there stop at 3". I found 18-8 1/4-20 in Stainless 7" long at McMaster Carr, hex drive. Over $10 each. Oh well. That'll work. Guido made me up some nice backing plates to go with.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2020 10:35 
Skipper

Overnight from McMaster Carr. 7" 1/4-20 bolts with 3" thread. Might be a tiny bit long, but once they're up, they'll cut. The new traveler is an elegant work of art. Laying out the deck turning blocks and companionway winches this weekend.

Got the new "Rocna" capable bow roller installed, backed with a layer of 1/2" G-10 glass where there is no core in the forepeak, with a layer of 3/8" G-10 below that cut to overlap the hull flange and pick everything up. Cleats are backed with 1/2" G-10. That stuff . . . my son said the whole bow will have to tear off before the G-10 lets go. Spooged with polysulfide to avoid hard spots between the layers. Bedded from above with butyl into countersunk holes. It'll outlive me.

Going with all Garhauer blocks on the deck and for the mainsheet. Those old Schaefer blocks are just a plastic bearing. The Garhauer blocks are absolutely light years above. The anchor chock that was moved (years ago) from the forward aluminum bowplate to the rail to allow for bow roller was only screwed down. I'm going to put longer bolts in and thread them into the aluminum flange plate through the teak toerail.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020 11:54 
Skipper

Like to see some pics of bow roller.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020 14:55 
Skipper

I put the Garhauer traveller on my T37 a year ago. I had the long bolts made by the machinist at the boat yard (Seal Cove in Harborside). You are going to like it.
Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2020 09:39 
Skipper

Ya ya photos. I have to do it from my phone, I guess. I don't know how to send them to my email.

One thing I figgered was the original turning block layout didn't run fair for the centerboard pennant. I moved that one slightly forward and outboard, back to a thru-bolted stainless fairlead in perfect line to the outside of where the old one ran. A second, small diameter fairlead will be aft and inboard for the 2nd turning block. If I can remember what was on there. There was originally only one fairlead and nothing on the 2nd block. I'll probably use it for a reef line.

I got the vertical block installed below the traveler on the stbd side and a goddamn cam cleat to receive the traveler controls as well. It took me awhile to figure out and re-set the springs in the cam cleat after the tops popped while I had it apart to thru bolt it. Twice I had to pull out the long bolts, all spooged and butyled, and re-catch the spring end so they would spring shut as designed.

Profile Email