Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Deck painting

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Deck painting
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020 05:29 
Skipper

Gelcoat AND 1 part polyurethane that was chalked out bad. Epiphanes makes a 1 part primer that you can paint 2 part poly over. Clean, clean, clean with dewaxer first. Like I said, 6.5 out of 10. I can get to 8 with a little touch up. The nonskid gray is 1 part paint, also Epiphanes. If I did it again, I think I might go all white. It was so friggin' hot underfoot with the darker gray primer it was ridiculous. Some improvement with the lighter gray.

CLEAN with totalboat or another dewaxer before you start sanding. THEN sand, then clean again. Then west system with what - 407 filler - then flush and de-blush THEN sand. I drilled out all the deck holes, countersunk those I'd be using again, and filled with what - 410 filler(?) (the hard stuff). The deck nonskid stays. Holds up admirably. I started to apply rubber balls in the paint on the foredeck and realized it was unnecessary, so I only did the bow work area. No need to do the nonskid at all. Prime with the one part primer (if you have to to avoid lifting 1 part paint) and finish with 2 part on the smooth areas, 1 part (the right stuff) on the nonskid. Not bad. Everyone thinks it looks great. I'm way more critical, and could spend a day "fixing" it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 07:04 
Midshipman

Thanks for the insights Maineiac, it’s a lot of work (yeah, a boat) but it’s worth it and yours looks great.

Kinsale’s deck was painted and a bit tired when I bought her 13 years ago. I did the whole deck fittings removal, over drill, fill, reinstall thing and painted the deck with Perfection two part, over 2 primer coats. Imperfections and mistakes here and there but mostly only visible to me. Boat looked new. 13 years later and I’m getting ready to paint it again. Probably use 2 part perfection again, but honestly I found it to be more difficult than expected to keep clean and remove stains. Maybe I had unreasonable expectations. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Brightside is 1 part but I’m finding lots of boaters saying it’s just as durable and much more stain resistant. Tempting but 2 part paints seem more appropriate.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 07:47 
Skipper

While the 1 part polys may have improved considerably, I wouldn't do it. You have a 2 part base and don't have to worry about using the wrong paint and lifting anything. Really, the difference is just mixing (the nasty) paint. You might even find someone just to shoot the whole thing. That saves a LOT of time. I rolled and tipped mine. And it's a 6.5 ten footer. But the one part paints eventually give up and chalk out, or at least fade where the 2 parts aren't supposed to. I used Epiphanes this time, but I've seen good results with Totalboat and the new product from the former Awlgrip people. Some of it is specifically designed for DIY.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 19:23 
Midshipman

Former awlgrip people being alexseal? I’ve not seen it in person. A couple YouTube serial posters have given it good reviews, otherwise internet reviews trend about 50-50 good and bad, so about like every other product.

I will roll/brush Perfection and hope the fickle weather gods look favorably on me.

Doug
Kinsale T37#22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020 19:41 
Midshipman

Former awlgrip people being alexseal? I’ve not seen it in person. A couple YouTube serial posters have given it good reviews, otherwise internet reviews trend about 50-50 good and bad, so about like every other product.

I will roll/brush Perfection and hope the fickle weather gods look favorably on me.

Doug
Kinsale T37#22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 07:56 
Skipper

I did this one with Perfection. Lotta work. Got some tiny blisters a few months later due to failure to clean well with dewaxer. Roll and tip in friggin' hurry. Got in a fight with the travellift operater when he brought a USCG boat over next to me while I was painting and started pressure washing it. USCG commander was all apologetic. Travel lift operator was a dick. Yeah, I have it bad. I do boats.

Nothing like a tuna tower and wireless autopilot controller when looking for salmon. Had a blast with that boat. Wish we had brought it down through the Canal and back to St. Thomas. I think it was over 3,000 miles just to get to the friggin' canal. Oh, and check out that all-chain "windlass." 33' of aft dance floor, livebait wells, dive platform, open transom. Dammit. She's crabbing and commercial salmon fishing out of San Fran with a pair of birds hanging off her now.

Attachments:
File comment: I did this one with Perfection around 2011. I wish I still had the boat. 50' Uniflite Navy Utility.
1976-uniflite-custom-navy-utility-boat--1.jpg
1976-uniflite-custom-navy-utility-boat--1.jpg [ 37.36 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email