Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - WHAT is in your boom?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT is in your boom?
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020 07:21 
Skipper

Photos. TWO fiddle blocks, one with double becket. Note the track screw was part of the end fitting attachment. Thankfully everything came nicely free with the dewalt impact tool. I started on the forend fitting, which is held with wood type screws for some reason (at the gooseneck) and stopped, since all of the innards relate to the aft end. I was going to replace the line, but it all seems O.K. The little steel rod has a plastic end aft and a spacer at the forward end and keeps the blocks in order. The double becket forward is attached to the "management"rod at the spacer. Quite elegant. Painting the boom and spreaders today (priming, anyway). Think I'll go black ceramic paint on the end fittings. Maybe cream on the boom & spreaders to match the boot/cove.

Thankfully, everything came apart smoothly. Seems like it had anti-sieze on it maybe. Just a hint of something and maybe a little caulk. I don't think it had ever been apart before based on careful observation of the screws (which I always do before I start wailing away - it can give me hope).

The wire that goes over the turning block in the cast boom end fitting and attaches to the car is attached to the end of the aft becket block. The other end of that block is attached to the bitter end of the outhaul line. (Hope I got the terminology right. I just make this shit up as I go along).

The single becket block attaches at the spacer at the forward end of the "management" rod. The double becket (as stated above) attaches to the outhaul cable AND the bitter end of the outhaul line. See? I made this terminology up. Yeah, cool setup. Need more coffee. Probably got something wrong in translation there.

Oh and you can't find (industrial sales maybe) zinc chromate anymore. Nat at Hamilton told me EPA took it off the market due to toxicity. I'm sure the aircraft industry still has access. He says treat (I have always used white vinegar instead of paying stupid money for washes and acid treatments) the spar, wipe down and use epoxy barrier coat primer. Petit it is. Still have a gallon. Makes me wonder if West System would work. Seems as though it should.

By the way, I poured the rudder plug the other day (below the pintle plate). West with 407 thickener. NOW, after I did it, I stepped back and thought "jeeziz, is that going to burst into flames??" Just stumbling around in the heat and humidity getting things done. No fire, now hard as a rock, but it needs to be done in several smaller amounts.

Goin' down to Sedgewick on Eggemoggin Reach to have a look-see at a Dyer 29. It's a disease, and he who dies with the most marine related toys in the Grandkid's trust, and got them to St. Thomas, whether living on Ramen noodles or not, wins. Besides, there's tuna, wahoo and mahi calling my name.

Attachments:
B9E6CEB5-F000-40A9-AC3A-B537174CC635.jpeg
B9E6CEB5-F000-40A9-AC3A-B537174CC635.jpeg [ 1.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
28D972DE-8791-4E6B-B460-787D89E18727.jpeg
28D972DE-8791-4E6B-B460-787D89E18727.jpeg [ 3.82 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
305B4209-4B06-4EF0-8221-C00D17B869F7.jpeg
305B4209-4B06-4EF0-8221-C00D17B869F7.jpeg [ 4.05 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email