Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Kiwi Grip?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 14:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiwi Grip?
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020 08:54 
Skipper

In repairing the decks and filling holes I've smoothed out the molded in deck nonskid here and there. I'm looking at Kiwigrip for nonskid paint. I've used Awlgrip nonskid in the past. I found it far superior to the "sand" products, since it's plastic microballs that "float" to the top of the paint at application, but always found it sandpaper-like and irritating under your knees. Anyone used Kiwigrip and if so, well?

I'm using Epifanes 2-part LP paint. Once I figured out the application (my life of 40 years ago painting houses means "put it on thick") I found it works fantastic. At first I used Epifanes 1-part Poly primer, which is designed to be re-coated with 2-part (if desired) after it cures 48 hours. But it builds up and is a pain to sand. Trouble is, someone 1-parted the boat with Brightsides or something white on the coach house and deck and with sanding it has become difficult to tell where it is and where it isn't. I guess I'm stuck with the 1-part primer.

I used "cream" color on the boot and cove and will be putting black Micron 66 on the bottom over the white barrier coat. But now I'm thinking the deck, cockpit and coach house should probably be just a good white rather than the cream. When/if she gets to Grenada/Trinidad or maybe even in STT I'll knock out the topsides with a much lighter color. Dark boats bake in the Caribbean.

Profile Email