Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - HELP! Show me your deck . . . and comment.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 11:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! Show me your deck . . . and comment.
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020 08:35 
Skipper

I've got 95% of everything off the deck for painting. I'll be remounting the cockpit winches, fairleads, jam cleats, cleats, chocks, fairleads, dodger hardware, teak trim and padeyes. At, the same time installing a new windlass & bow roller.

I'm thinking I don't need to carry 2 anchors on the bow. A good Fortress with 20 to 30' of chain and 150' of rode can be stored and used if needed. Keep the anchor locker uncluttered. Otherwise 130' of chain and 150' of rode on the main anchor. Whether to go 35# or 44# has not been decided. The boat came with a 22# CQR, which I find optimistic. I want a relatively clean foredeck and side decks. I've removed the spin pole and whisker pole deck mounts forward and find I like the idea of them gone. I might just take out the rear mounts as well and call it good, set up a good all around carbon fiber pole to mount on the forward side of the mast and Bob's your uncle. Bring the spin pole if I need it for anything like racing. Eh, I can crew anytime I want.

Some photos of cockpit, companionway top, lines from mast to cockpit and the foredeck would be helpful. I mean, I'll invent what I like but I find this site always gives me GREAT ideas. I was actually fondling mid rail chocks at Hamilton the other day. But $179 each is a little much. I think Spartan down at Robinhood Marine might have what I need, a better design and less pricey. https://www.spartanmarine.com/chocks-cleats

I know it's not as shiny as stainless, but since I intend to maintain the original, antique 40 year old "patina" of the dark blue gelcoat hull (kidding, don't look too close) I don't really give a crap as long as stuff is solid, she floats, she goes foward and it all works.

So yeah. If you could. Show me what you did. Make recommendations, suggestions. I have a clean palette. I like minimalization. Hey - anyone put up mast pulpits? Where'd you get them? I wonder if I could rig some with components instead of bending and welding? I bet I could. 3 straight legs, 2 straight deck mounts, 2 90 degrees, one "t" and one what? 45 degree on the deck? 60 degree? Thoughts?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: HELP! Show me your deck . . . and comment.
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020 22:56 
Skipper

I'll try to get a couple of pics. I never thought mast rails were needed on a T37. The inboard shrouds I find pretty easy to get your back into. The traveler, mast turning blocks and vang all need upgrades. The weight on the bow of a T37 is a killer. Agree with one and a chain/rope rode is the way to go.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: HELP! Show me your deck . . . and comment.
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2020 08:58 
Skipper

Both my Bristol 35 Alden and Pearson 10M had boom end sheeting. The Bristol traveler was aft of the helm and the Pearson traveler at the bridge deck. Both got Garhauers. The Pearson I could singlehand and go like hell. I won Coral Bay Thanksgiving Regatta singlehanding one year with an obscenely large genoa in 30+kn tradewinds. The boat balanced so well, I could lock the Switlick stick into the coaming (tiller steered, loved it), run forward, tie down the next headsail hank to the deck where it had blown out and torn, run back to the cockpit, do it again 15 minutes later. The bottom 1/3 of the Genoa was torn to shit, but I won.

This is all starting to come together. I can now see that I have to do my deck painting and get that over with and re-install the mast to really figure out everything. Which leads me to thinking about 2 part paint on the mast . . .

Doug Garhauer and I talked for 15 minutes yesterday afternoon. He knows characters I know. Oooh. Just thought of Goodlander. I wonder if Doug knows him. Haven't run into him in 20 years. Last time I gave him shit because he was in the yard sitting in the cockpit typing while Carolyn was sanding the bottom of the boat all covered in bottom paint dust. He just whined back at me in that inimitable voice and went back to typing. Must've been the first time around the world for that boat. Matter of fact, I think Carolyn did almost all the work on that old Wild Card. I think it was a Hughes. What a woman.

Well, off to Hamilton Marine. Going with Epifanes on the nonskid rather than Kiwigrip. Too many bad reviews on kiwigrip. A lot of good ones, but I think I'll stick with one paint supplier this time around. Epifanes North America is in Maine, so I can reach out and complain locally if things don't go right.

Profile Email