Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Boot cove and bttim

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 06:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot cove and bttim
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020 20:25 
Skipper

Moving toward painting the deck this week. Then get the hardware mounted. Bottom is going black, cream colored cove and boot will stand out when Micron 66 goes on. Still have to make rudder fairings, friggin’ hot out.

The West System on the bottom is 407 filler. A LOT of voids in the original blue gelcoat - pinholes everywhere from when the mold was sprayed. I see the same thing on the coach house. Above the waterline not a huge deal, but below the waterline could cause problems. Made me wonder if anyone ever had blister issues with one of these boats.

Attachments:
EF077E84-E1B6-485D-8E1D-39681C9CFAED.jpeg
EF077E84-E1B6-485D-8E1D-39681C9CFAED.jpeg [ 2.59 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
446B56E6-8322-4962-A8AF-8070E60E0FC2.jpeg
446B56E6-8322-4962-A8AF-8070E60E0FC2.jpeg [ 4.11 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Boot cove and bttim
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020 22:24 
Skipper

I had tens of thousands of very tiny blisters on the bottom my T37 #373 when I bought it--that was computed in the price. Had it peeled and reglassed and had the bottom re faired and did a lot of the scut work myself with a glass guy. I judged that the blisters were between the gelcoat and the glass and were most likely caused by a barrier coat applied while the hull was wet, but I can't be sure. It had a barrier coat on it and I assume they did not put that on over blisters. There were no real voids in the glass underneath. There was one spot where the glass had not been properly wetted out over the strut, and a void in the glass there, but there was no evidence that water had penetrated it(!). I do have a couple voids in the topside gelcoat, but--as you say--they have not caused a problem.
It could have been that they messed up the timing on laying the glass over the gelcoat--I have heard that is critical and my boat was made in Hamlet NC where I am guessing controlling the heat and humidity would be a feat.
The design and layup schedule was good, and the layup more or less adequate for tabbing etc. Some of the non structural glasswork used to hold up the floors and furniture was really done badly.
Ray

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Boot cove and bttim
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2020 08:24 
Skipper

"Voids" is probably too aggressive a term. What was there in the blue gelcoat bottom was hundreds of pinholes. The larger spooge slap on the aft end of the keel was for fairing where the yard blocked it on the hollow and caused cracking and delamination in the glass. I fixed that. And duly, sternly, but respectfully reprimanded the yard monkeys. Also showed them where they blocked an Endeavour on its hollow keel aft and they appreciated the heads up.

Likewise on the coach side abovedecks were notable pinholes. No blisters or voids beyond many, many pinholes in the gelcoat.

Profile Email