Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Any use a Johnson Heavy Duty Bilge Pump?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 10:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any use a Johnson Heavy Duty Bilge Pump?
PostPosted: 24 May 2020 14:20 
Rail Meat

Just wondering whether anyone has tried installing the Johnson Heavy Duty 2000 GPH pump? I've gotten tired of my Rule pumps failing frequently, and also prefer to buy Made in USA products. I put a smaller Johnson pump in my sump a few years back, and it's been great. But given that space it a bit tight by the bilge pump mount, I am hoping someone can share a success (or lack of success) story before I hit "buy".

Thanks, in advance.

-Jim

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Any use a Johnson Heavy Duty Bilge Pump?
PostPosted: 24 May 2020 16:54 
Skipper

I will watch this as well. I was on the Defender site and the highest rated Johnson pump was 1000gph. I would imaging a 2k pump would need an outlet hose around 1-1/2” in order to get anywhere near the rated capacity? Esprit is nearly 40 years old and I guess it is getting to be time for an electric bilge pump.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 May 2020 18:46 
Rail Meat

FYI - Defenders has the 2K pump: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=4071258

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2020 09:41 
Skipper

I'm willing to try it. Rule pumps are pretty much plastic toys, as are the switches. But I never felt Johnson was that much better. Thanks for the link.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020 09:12 
Rail Meat

If you're interested, I installed the Johnson 2200 on Saturday and I'm thrilled. It is very quiet and measurably faster than my Rule 1500.

However, I do have to warn you, that it was a VERY tight fit, particularly in conjunction with my USS Ultra (Jr) float switch. While both the Rule and the Johnson claim 4" diameter, the difference is that the Rule tapers down to smaller, whereas the Johnson is a (nearly) true cylinder with a uniform diameter.

To digress a bit, I installed the USS 2 years ago, and I really love it. It's hand made in the US and is sealed inside a cylinder that attached to the bilge pump with a hose clamp. (I had to replace my #64 hose clamp with a #72.) It also has an LED on the top which makes it much easier to tell whether it is active and has power coming in.

So, after cursing at myself a few dozen times trying to squeeze all of the parts in, keep the hose from kinking too much, and then adjusting the switch to the right water level, I ended up very happy.

I've attached a picture which embarrasses me a bit, as it shows the filth in my bilge, but also gives you an idea of the remaining space. (I did remove the kink in the hose, but forget to take another picture).

Attachments:
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg [ 3.48 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020 16:35 
Skipper

I must admit that float switch is a new one on me. After so many Rule switch failures over the years (some almost immediate, some lasted a decade) that "Junior" float switch intrigues me. W/5 year warranty, but she carries a cost.

Well, you got me looking anyway. This is interesting, with an idiot light I can wire to the cockpit since my hearing sucks.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=744053#

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020 14:52 
Rail Meat

The float switch was a bit pricey, but I feel very confident that it will work when I need it. And I saw one review of it where the owner claimed it had lasted 20 years for him (and was still going strong)

Profile Email