Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Manual Bilge Pump Rebuild Kit?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manual Bilge Pump Rebuild Kit?
PostPosted: 31 May 2020 18:14 
Tactictian

My manual bilge pump is not working.
Talking with others at the marina, as i understand over time the rubber gives out and stops working.
I do not see any rips in the bellows and the hoses look fine.

Has anybody rebuilt their manual bilge pump?
If so, what type /model?

Any help will be appreacited.
Thanks in advance.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Manual Bilge Pump Rebuild Kit?
PostPosted: 31 May 2020 18:58 
Skipper

Henderson is the manufacturer I am pretty sure. You should be able to get the rebuild kit from one of the online chandleries. The bellows that you see from the cockpit is just the outer seal. Has nothing to do with pumping water. Most likely one or both check valves are shot. The rebuild kit will also include a new diaphragm and, it think, a new bellows. It’s a pretty easy fix.

Before you start pulling the pump out, check the hoses and hose clamps on the input for leaks. Pulling air will prevent the pump from working properly.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2020 12:34 
Tactictian

Thanks guys for the comments.
Henderson pumps I believe are now Whale pumps.
They make a rebuild kit for the MK 2 & 3, and Mk 5 pump models.
I have no idea what the pump model I (we) have on our boats.
I cannot make out the model number from looking into the helm seat.
I was hoping somebody would know or I'll need to take apart and look for numbers info.

If somebody has rebuilt their manual pumps and knows what model, please share.
Thanks.
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2020 17:37 
Skipper

I have rebuilt mine and I am hull 324 (I think; it’s been a long time!) so if you have the stock pump, I’m betting it is the same. Henderson Mark V.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020 09:18 
Tactictian

Thanks for the reply.
This helps me a lot, my boat is Hull#336, a 1981, most likely same pump. I live 4 hours away from the boat, knowing the model will save me time, I can order ahead.

Defender has Model MK V on sale, around $50 bucks.

Thanks again.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
#Hull 336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020 17:43 
Tactictian

Hi Nick. I have hull #337. It is in Norfolk Virginia at the moment but will be spending winters in Florida. Where are you located on Superior? Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020 19:19 
Tactictian

My boat is on the south shore of Lake Superior, Bayfield WS.
I sail around the Apostle Islands.
I live 4 hours away in St. Paul,MN.

Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020 09:13 
Skipper

I pulled mine out the other day, since the gland keeping water out from the exterior was rotted and the hose at the discharge was well gone by. But I left it on the boat. I'll have a look, but I've been working on the assumption it is a Mk V. I had a Whale Gusher on another boat, but it had an aluminum case. I was perusing rebuild kits and replacement pumps the other day. I saw one that moved 17.5 gpm but can't remember what it was. I also looked into the Edson and that baby pushes $1000. And a lot of water. I'm thinking rebuilding the (black plastic case) pump I've got and adding another one somewhere.

My Bristol 35 (Alden, not 35.5) had a deep bilge that would hold a lot of water. I saw it fill a couple of times (usually operator error), but the Whale Gusher (yellow case) would empty it after awhile. There is so little bilge in the T37 that, if necessary, I'd like to be able to move water. Quickly. The Bristol had stacked automatic pumps on a 3.5' aluminum bar into the deep bilge. 500 gph auto spitter low and a 1500 gph with a float switch a few inches higher. Then, in the very bottom of the bilge, a 1500 on a manual switch by the companionway, along with the Whale Gusher. Overkill, I know, but I sank the boat once by nicking the shaft log with a sawzall during haul out cutless replacement. I can't remember if I didn't notice it or it looked like the stern gland would cover it. Maybe 1/2" long. Dummy. The boat, with 5'6" draft settled into the slip mud after launching after a couple days, just above the waterline, floating the floorboards. Instead of turning on the pumps, dummy started the MD2B to keep the batteries up, which immediately sucked water from over 6" away into the air intakes and pooched the venerable Volvo. As soon as I hit the compression releases I saw the water shoot into the engine. I shut it off immediately, but too late. She got a brand new 3YM30 a few weeks later. And a new shaft log fabrication. My credo now is act quickly, after VERY quickly assessing and reassessing actions. Don't just start the engine.

Profile Email