Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bilge pumps into cockpit well?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 01:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge pumps into cockpit well?
PostPosted: 26 May 2020 09:37 
Skipper

The Rule 1500 and an inline pump both in the bilge and pump into the cockpit well to discharge overboard through the scuppers. I think I've discovered why rainwater always fills the bilge. Please tell me why a solid high loop and transom discharge might not be advisable. I can look over my shoulder occasionally.

I always put a 500 gph self-contained, automatic "spitter" at the deepest bilge point and a 1500 gph with a float switch slightly above that. I've also been known to install a 1500 manually switched "just in case", along with the Edson hand pump or other. Where a following sea might pooch hard enough to move water into the boat and past a serious high loop, I'll put flaps on the discharge. There should be one on the exhaust in any event.

ALSO . . . here's one for thought: The round, multi-holed raw water intake cover (yes, I think you need one due to the level of sargassum out there these days) is getting replaced with the finned opening, sorta rectangular exterior strainer. Between paint and the tiny holes, the round one was highly suspect that it might move half the water the engine needed through the tiny hose. SO, such a sorta rectangular strainer - should the open vents/fins face forward or aft? Cursor down for my theory and way of doing it over the years.

The fins should face aft (which you NEVER see) and the rounded part forward. That's actually the more hydrodynamically sound orientation. Those open fins/grooves/whatever facing forward would clearly induce more drag. However, I don't care about the drag, I care about putting a pressurized column of water into my engine when I don't need to. Fins facing aft, it gets the water, sloughs off seaweed and plastic bags and doesn't pressurize my water system when I'm sailing and the water isn't needed. Just one of my peculiarities.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bilge pumps into cockpit well?
PostPosted: 26 May 2020 15:54 
Skipper

Thank you!

So there's this little bronze pipe in the cockpit well at the helm on the port side, forward corner of the well. It really looks like a factory installation to me. THAT'S where the water in my bilge has been coming from. ANY water in the cockpit goes to the well and that little bronze pipe is the lowest point. It goes to an inline electric pump behind the battery locker (manual, I'd guess)with a hose proceeding from there, under the engine and up to mid-bilge.

I'm thinking plugging everything in the cockpit well except the 2 scuppers and run the pumps overboard through the transom port and starboard - out of the way of the planned Cape Horn gear. Maybe high on the topsides aft.

Oh, and custom (small but fancy) LP locker in STBD cockpit locker is coming out and can will go (somehow) to radar arch (coming some day from New Jersey - Atlantic Towers; but it's been six days so far since they shipped it, and it's now 2 hours north of the factory in Meriden CT after going to PA, then 2 more locations in NJ; at that rate, some time in July). The overboard through hull should be below the bottom of the locker. It's obviously a professional installation (like a lot of the stuff), but it ain't below the bottom of the locker. The thru hull is centered on the transom at the bottom of the wineglass. After several years on the hard, I can still smell LP in the locker. If the locker went any higher up, you probably wouldn't be able to get the little LP can in it. Pricey install, too, I'll bet. Like the huge new water heater aft of the engine. Before I hang a 20#er off the arch or pushpit, I'll look at putting this LP locker in the lazarette maybe, but the tank is awful small. Gas is gas, and 1 or 2 20# tanks is better than a bunch of little ones and take up less space.

Profile Email