Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - help! compass??

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help! compass??
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020 05:37 
Skipper

In about 5 hours I'll be looking at a Ritchie Compass with hood to replace mine which has a big bubble. $600 ask, over $1200 plus shipping at Fisheries supply. Brand new. Guy says it has a 6" base. DOES THE RITCHIE FD 600 FIT OUR BINNACLE? I can't get to the boat, the compass is 2 hours away. Thanks for anyone that's reading and actually enjoying the boat. Gonna kill it today with boat stuff tour, marine salvage store, etc.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: help! compass??
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020 07:26 
Skipper

Just curious as to why you don’t just send yours in to be reconditioned? I can’t help with the size, etc.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020 11:20 
Grinder

I second getting your compass repaired rather than replacing it. There are several companies here in New England that can do the job for you and probably save you some cash for other items on your wish list.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020 12:44 
Skipper

Had mine reconditioned by Ritchienavigation, ... it came back looking NEW

Here's the specifics:

"Per our telephone conversation, if you have an SP-5 with the plastic comp base that screws down to the boat. To recondition the compass capsule (new dome, card, seals & any necessary updates) is $220.00. The price includes FedEx ground return shipping in the continental United States.

If you decide to send it to us, our address is Ritchie ATTN: Service 243 Oak St. Pembroke, MA 02359. Please enclose a note with your contact information. Once we have evaluated the compass, we will contact you for a MC or Visa number before we repair."

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020 07:01 
Skipper

Well, I have a nice Ritchie box I can send my old one in with. I got it for $400.00 (probably cost me what, about $100.00 more than the recondition with shipping both ways) with a stainless cover, but the seller kinda wasn't completely up front. It IS over $1000 new compass, but it is an FD - p. The "P" means powerboat, I think. I'm guessing it's heavily dampened for that purpose. I emailed Ritchie to find out if I can switch them out. Otherwise, I've got a brand new flush mount compass for whatever lobster boat I deign to refit and repower for Caribbean fishing.

I will admit, wife isn't wild about the purchase, but shiny things that provide instant gratification always get me. Also got a sextant a swim ladder to retrofit to the side deck and a LARGE piece of 1" teak to fabricate new companionway hatch boards to get rid of those weeny 3/8" things. All day Craigslist tour yesterday. Couldn't put my hands on a pair of reasonably priced self tailers, though.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020 17:26 
Skipper

I sent in my Ritchie Compass because it had a bubble and the dome was crazed. You know, those little cracks that make it hard to read.

I can't say for positive but I think I got a brand new SP-5 Globemaster. The mounting plate on my old compass used just the little screws on the outside ring. The returned compass mounting uses the large long screws that hold the upper Edson ring on the pedestal. And it looks beautiful. You can bet that the cover continues to go on everytime we leave the boat.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email