Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mast rake & bend

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 21:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mast rake & bend
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2007 07:18 
Midshipman

The first time I rigged the boat we added a toggle in the forestay to get 5"-6" of rake. The mast is not intended to be bent as it is very stiff, but we do get a slight curve in it. This puts a lot of stress on the lower inner stays, and they don't have a great load path as evidenced by the pucker in the port hull.

As for the 155% genoa, we almost never have weather helm. We had sails made for racing and they are very flat. I like about one spoke down on the wheel for helm feel. Of course if the wind gets up to about 15 knots, we have about a quarter turn on the wheel and its time to think reef in the main. Never reef the genoa if you are racing. We also outpoint ever other boat in our fleet. So think about the cut of your sails the next time you replace them. I would blame a "cruising sail" cut or an overtrimmed main for weather helm. It is not the boats fault.

The "stock" 155% genoa is not. We just bought a new 155% genoa and did a lot of measuring beforehand. The luff is a foot longer than the sailmaker ever made for a T37. (his claim) The clue is also a good foot and a half further aft than the old sail. So this prompted me to get out the tape measure. My old "155" measured only 145% and even my new genoa is only 153% as measured. The sail measurements given on the SailRite website are really for a 145% genoa. So I wonder how many other genoas are smaller than advertised.

JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email