Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Holding tank sourcing

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holding tank sourcing
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020 14:35 
Rail Meat

Hello Group,
I am in need of a new holding tank. Currently have an aluminum tank in what I believe is the original size (19 gallons) and location (port side under v-berth). Looking for same configuration only plastic. Any advice/sources greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Scott
S/V Tequesta
Hull #273

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Holding tank sourcing
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020 21:36 
Skipper

I bought my replacement holding tank from www.marinesan.com

It is an odd shaped tank.
The model number was 500 which fits almost exactly. I put all my fittings on top of the tank because the old tank had the fittings on the stern end and the seals failed leaking nasties into the boat.

The pumpout nozzle I put on the aft end of the tank. The inlet nozzle went to the middle of the tank and the 1/2" vent and water flush nozzles went to the forward end.

While I was replacing the tank, I replumbed all the hoses. The head discharge went straight to the inlet nozzle. The vent and wash out nozzles stayed separate. The pumpout nozzle went to a "T" fiiting. One outlet from the "T" went to the pumpout nozzle for normal pumpouts. The other connection goes to a manual macerator diaphragm pump and then to the overboard discharge. The overboard seacock is normally sealed closed but we have learned to stroke the valve once a month to keep it moving. Sealife builds up on the outside.

Attachment:
File comment: From top of hanging locker, looking down.

P1000414.JPG

P1000414.JPG [ 152 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Hoses from tank in front. Head discharge against hull.

P1000413.JPG

P1000413.JPG [ 142.5 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

The mistake I made with this system was I did not run the head discharge hose straight up above the tank height. So when the joker and base valves fail, a bunch of liquid runs back into the head. But otherwise, the new piping works great. Plus when the Coast Guard pulls up alongside, you don't have to worry about whether or not your head valve is in fact closed and sealed. Very Happy There is a story there but I am not sure if the statute of limitations has run out yet.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020 12:36 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the reply and website source. I don’t see a “500” tank mold but under the unusual size tab there is a “501” that is close but a little larger. I doubt it will fit my installation, particularly on the aft/hanging locker end as it’s wider and taller and would likely require modifications to that bulkhead. I have the exact dimensions of my tank from a defunct plastic company and have 5 email inquiries out, but since it’s the weekend I haven’t heard anything back.
My tank is aluminum and was built in 1996 by Florida Marine Tanks which is still around. I’d like a polyethylene tank, but may just get one made up in aluminum again.
Life with a good, old boat....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020 18:43 
Skipper

Tank Depot's Ronco RH-B501 19 gallon holding tank, almost an exact match to the original. Plan on using all fittings from tank top so waste doesn't stand in the hose to cut down on the odor. You can also disconnect hoses or the pump with a full tank, saved my butt a few times. Use a marine business name and get the jobber price. If I did it again I would figure a way to go bigger. Use the forum search feature, some went to 35 gallons.

https://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=RH-B501

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email