Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019 16:33 
Skipper

I like it, but being a shed (not even barn) carpenter, actually hitting that insert correctly with a bit drilling from the side just doesn't seem like a happening thing. If I was going to try to set six of those pins, I might step back and think about just doing a new hinge pin assembly all the way through, countersunk rings on the outside of the keel and pinned. A single piece of stainless or bronze bar or heavy tube. A way to remove it if desired. No need for the angle iron, six bolts into laminate, six pins, etc. It would make me feel better on a long passage to wind, to be sure.

And you might as well put those pins all the way through the bolt receivers in the laminate.

You may be right. My centerboard is straight and in excellent condition. But if that hole is off at all (apparently from manufacture if true), it would cause the board to pull one way or the other. After I gave the aft end of the board (pissed off) a couple of yanks, it dropped and retrieved and dropped again reasonably smoothly. Not a big confidence builder, though.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019 17:25 
Skipper

See the post about "WOW." The original pivot assembly was lag bolted into lead.

Profile Email