Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2007 10:17 
Midshipman

Hi gang,
I was just looking at the Tartan Parts catalog to look at the centerboard hinge assembly and it says that the T37 centerboard is "140 pound fiberglass construction with steel and high density foam core, internal lead tipped ballast, airfoil shape and barrier coated with interlux 2000 epoxy." Is this correct or am I reading it wrong? Our centerboards must weigh more than 140 lbs don't they, especially with "internal lead tipped ballast"? Anyone know the answer to this? I always assumed it was filled with lead and weight a LOT more than that. If this is true, I have definitely learned something new. Then again, I always wondered how one pin could hold 1000 lbs or more unless it had something to do with water displacement to buffer the weight.

PS - I realize that the centerboard just counteracts side slip, but thought by lowering a "heavy" board, it would also put the center-of-gravity lower.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 06:13 
Skipper

I don't even think the thing weighs that much. I had mine out about two years ago to do work on it and I could pick it up w/o much strain. It is lead tipped with lead pellets encapsulated in resin, but I don't know the amount of lead used. Be careful of the eye bolted on the aft edge that the pennant is tied to. This is bolted into tapped holes in the iron core/plate and the bolts will corrode after a peiod of years. Of course, mine lasted twenty-eight years!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 18:44 
Midshipman

Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel much better to make repairs to the assembly or parts of it, knowing that we're not dealing with that much weight.... so the confirmation of someone who's actually lifted one is helpful. Everytime we drop and lower ours in the travel lift to paint or check the pennant, I'm in the cockpit working the pennant. Also, thanks for the alert on the pad-eye for the pennant. In fact, the fiberglass around mine began to peel 2-3 years ago so we rebedded it then.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008 09:20 
Rail Meat

I have been having trouble getting my centerboard down when sailing. It seems to be that there is not enough weight to allow it to come down. I checked it both in water and out, and it seems OK. It goes up and down fine at the dock, although slowly. When there is any pressure on it, it won't come down. I have thought about adding some more weight next time she is out of the water. What do you think?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008 13:52 
Skipper

Dacar, You must have something binding the board. Next time she's in the boatlift, take a look at the clearances around the board as it drops, it could be swollen a little and tight against the sides as it lowers. Also, check the hinge assembly, the bolts are subject to severe corrosion. They may look OK on the surface, but once you unbolt them, there may not be much left.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008 16:10 
Skipper

Dacar-

I agree with Tortuga's Lie. I took the C/B out of my boat this winter. If the C/B is in good repair, it should drop easily. If yours doesn't, I would recommend that you remove it and determine the reason its binding. If the obvious cause such as barnacles, etc, has been eliminated, my guess is the fiberglass is delaminating in the area where the C/B pennant is attached. If that's occurring, it has the effect of expanding the boards width at that point, which can cause it to bind. That delamination did occur on my C/B, but not enough to cause significant binding. If the delamination was real bad, I'm sure it could have caused binding. The real problem here, however, is not the binding, if delamination is occcuring; the padeye is probably ready to pull out. If that occurs, your board is down, with no graceful way to retract it.

Jim #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010 11:49 
Rail Meat

Well, I just removed the centerboard for repairs. The bottom edge (in down position) was split and delaminated. There was some delamination around the pin area. I weighed the board and it weighs 80#. After reading here somewhere that the board should weigh between 100-140#, I think I will try to add some weight to it. Seems that @ 20-30# should do it. Does anyone have any suggestions how to add weight?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010 11:51 
Rail Meat

Well, I just removed the centerboard for repairs. The bottom edge (in down position) was split and delaminated. There was some delamination around the pin area. I weighed the board and it weighs 80#. After reading here somewhere that the board should weigh between 100-140#, I think I will try to add some weight to it. Seems that @ 20-30# should do it. Does anyone have any suggestions how to add weight?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010 11:55 
Rail Meat

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 06:18 
Skipper

I'm not sure I would worry about the weight as long as it's able to drop on its own. If you really want to add weight without adding too much thickness, try adding a sheet of lead which you could epoxy to the centerboard lower tip once you remove all of the bottom paint. Sheets of lead could be found at most professional roofing supply houses or at McMaster-Carr or other online suppliers: http://www.mcmaster.com/#lead/=9cb4ur

Profile Email