Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - BOAT Insurance: Agreed Value Policy

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 19:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOAT Insurance: Agreed Value Policy
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020 12:07 
Tactictian

Sorry if I have misplaced this topic. Didn't know where best to post...

I was reading my latest issue of Practical Sailor last night and read a good article about boat insurance. The guy had his boat insured, a 49 year old S& S custom design with Boat US and had an Agreed Value Policy. I have the same policy with Geico, same company now. For boats older than 20 years they deduct 10% per year less deductible down to a minimum payment of 20% for repairs.
For example, if you have $20K in storm damage (and all are boats are over 20 years old), Boat US- Geico will reimburse you only $3k ( $20kx0.2- $1.0K deductible = $3k).
I couldn't believe it so I dug out my policy and called. They said that's what everybody does. Really? Are we all basically self insured for repairs??

Does anybody have another Insurance company that is more in line with car insurance or something..

Thanks.
Nick.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: BOAT Insurance: Agreed Value Policy
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020 23:24 
Rail Meat

I use State Farm. I lost my C&C 34 in Hurricane Matthew and had a mess dealing with BoatUS.

I had no idea State Farm did boat insurance, but they were pretty good setting it up. I have an agreed value with no survey. Hurricane deductable is reasonable and the cruising limits are essentially Nova Scotia to the FL Keys. BoatUS was the Chesapeake to Jacksonville (I'm in Beaufort SC).

Beaufort, SC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2020 11:23 
Tactictian

Chris,
Thank You!
I'll check out State Farm.

I won't be leaving the Great lakes.

Best,
Nick,
S/V Angela Mia
Hull#336
Lake Superior

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020 13:21 
Skipper

I believe my Progressive policy covers without the "depreciation" factoring. This is what insurers do on older houses (some of them) as well. It's all a profit driven racket. The goal is to receive all the premiums and pay out nothing. I've gone to war for people against surveyors several times in the past. Never accept the first shot on a claim. It's designed to stiff you and make you settle and go away, unless you feel it is fair and equitable, something I haven't seen in the last 30 years.

I talked to Boat U.S. last year about insuring our boat. "Top dollar for a Tartan 37 is $20,000.00." I had two words for the agent, and they weren't "happy birthday."

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 09:21 
Skipper

I live on the coast,,, boat is docked in Pensacola. My boat is insured for $45K ,,, total loss. Yes the depreciation aspect sucks if it's not a total loss but living down here that's all I'm worried about. Most things I can repair however if I ever loose the rig I'd be stuck. To get the $45K total loss figure I had to get the boat surveyed; been with BoatUS many years and that's probably why the total loss number is so high compared to the true value of the boat. Yearly premium is around $1300.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 23:02 
Skipper

Mike wrote:
I live on the coast,,, boat is docked in Pensacola. My boat is insured for $45K ,,, total loss. Yes the depreciation aspect sucks if it's not a total loss but living down here that's all I'm worried about. Most things I can repair however if I ever loose the rig I'd be stuck. To get the $45K total loss figure I had to get the boat surveyed; been with BoatUS many years and that's probably why the total loss number is so high compared to the true value of the boat. Yearly premium is around $1300.

I'm over in Bayou Chico. Got mine surveyed in 2016 for BoatUS. Premium is around $1600 on $42K. But I haven't had any claims so my partial loss deductible is only $319 this year. But 5% of insured value if the loss is from a named storm.

I just had a horrible thought. Shocked Somebody is naming WINTER storms now. What happens if the NWS starts naming winter storms and your boat gets damaged during the storm? I just looked at weather.gov and did not see where they were naming winter storms yet.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2020 11:21 
Tactictian

Fyi..

I have been shopping around and have found much better policies and better pricing from State Farm, Progressive, and the best so far
Chubb.

Just saying..
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020 16:32 
Skipper

Not sure what policy you folks have with Boat US, but I had a $25K repair (keel removal, resetting, floor replacement) two years ago after hitting a rock at 7kts. Boat US paid 100% of everything because I had forgotten to up my deductible and had full coverage from having no claims for a few years. I have checked and have the same policy now---though I have a mandatory deductible for a couple of years at the same rate I was paying before.
I was unable to find a better deal when I shopped it many years ago. Maybe things are different because I am based in Maine and am out of the water for 6 months.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020 17:10 
Tactictian

Ray,
Boat US got bought out by Geico a couple of years ago.
Geico will depreciate reimbursements for repairs 10% per year down to a minimum of 20% less your deductible for all boats over twenty years old.
When i called Geico to confirm and try to get different coverage they told me that they dont offer the type of coverage like yours.

My boat is on the hard on the shores of Lake Superior 7 months a year, similar to Maine without the lobster.
So you may want to double check your policy, call Geico- Boat US to confirm.

I’ve decided to bind with Chubb at the end of the month.
Only a few bucks more and a far far better policy than what is offered by Geico.
Just sharing what was an eye opening experience brought to my attention from reading an email in Practical Sailor Feburay 2020 titled “ Check Your Policy” on page 3.

Yearning for Spring launch..
Nick,
S/V Angela Mia
Hull # 336

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020 21:13 
Skipper

Thanks, I will check on my policy.

Profile Email