Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dyneema Rigging?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dyneema Rigging?
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020 15:04 
Skipper

I've been perusing some of the monster rigs at Front St. Shipyard in Belfast, Maine over the past few months. Many are now rigged with dyneema rigging. Wild looking setups on HUGE spars. I used dyneema for my centerboard pennant and was thinking of lifeline replacement (for now). Has anyone done this? I have to say it's been almost 10 years since I've re-rigged a boat - done anything on a boat - and there's a lot of "new" stuff out there. But the interweby thing is very helpful.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dyneema Rigging?
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020 21:26 
Tactictian

My Tartan has lifelines with Dyneema when I bought her in the spring. My past Peterson/Formosa 46 I redid all the lifelines with dyneema as well. It is done really fast, easy to splice doesn't cost too much and is easily inspected. I wouldn't hesitate to add a baby inner stay and running backs of dyneema on the 37 and will definately consider re rigging the whole boat with synthetic when the time comes. A lot of the guys I worked with in Hong Kong all kept a coil of 10mm for rigging emergencies and the stuff is unbelievable in the break strength stats.P.S. I'm back at the boat at Chesapeake yachts if anyone is around to talk. Mark, zoombats@gmail.com, 217-918-9018. I am commencing to pull the engine and see how extensive the damage is

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020 23:50 
Skipper

I redid my lifelines with Dyneema myself. Bought the fittings from Defender. Get a fid kit if you don't have one yet. It makes splicing easier. It's important to remember to "feather" the splice as Dyneema hates square corners. On my boat, the toughest runs were the gates. They were nearly splice to splice when I was done.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020 11:08 
Skipper

I checked Defender. Pricey proposition. But I think I'll do it and learn the use of Dyneema properly. It may come in handy.

You wouldn't believe the rigs I've looked at. All the monster "new" stuff on the boats put up for the winter is done with dyneema. I mean 100' sloops and so forth.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020 23:06 
Skipper

No, Pricey is dropping a fitting into the drink. Frustrating And not being able to find it in the muck at the bottom. Rant Then buying another $75 fitting because you have ruined the old vinyl lifeline fittings getting them off so you can't install a temporary lifeline while you wait.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2020 08:51 
Skipper

So how do you . . . never mind. Seems to me the gates are the concern. I've rigged boats with spectra tied and stitched at the pulpit and pushpit for racing (which nobody was ever sure was legal under the rules). Left the gate cable and hardware. (33' Pearson 10M).

The Dyneema I bought for the centerboard pennant was not stunningly expensive. Most boats the fore and aft lifelines, either side of the gate(s), are virtually never touched. I wonder. I have to wonder because I need a couple battery banks, a refrigeration system, self-steering gear, possible electronics (10 year old Raymarine overdone system that I don't know if it works), 2 burner stove instead of the 3 burner RV monster that's in the boat, etc., etc. And maybe paint the hull and deck. A watermaker would be good, too. Sigh.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2021 18:29 
Able Bodied Seaman

Has anyone actually replace the standing rigging with Dyneema/Dux on their boat? I've got my mast out and I will be replacing everything for the first time in 30 years...

I'm thinking of Dyneema and would appreciate any real world experience on a T37

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email