Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard Hinge Plate Repair - Need Photo

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard Hinge Plate Repair - Need Photo
PostPosted: 31 May 2007 08:13 
Midshipman

The smaller bolt on my centerboard hinge plate loosened up and then was "bent" when I tried to winch up the centerboard. When we hauled it and my marina tried to make the repair, they said the threads in the plate (starboard side) were stripped. Anybody have a solution? If I go with a larger bolt, the head (bevel) is too large and doesn't fit snug enough against the board/plate for clearance in the centerboard trunk.

Also, a sketch or photo of this area would be greatly helpful if any of you have one. I'm going to try the neighboring marina as they specialize in sailboats, but I want to show them what is happening before they haul the boat. Here the cost is $100 per lift and I want them to make the repair the first time.

Thanks.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard Hinge Plate Repair - Need Photo
PostPosted: 31 May 2007 08:35 
Skipper

The entire hinge assembly is available from Tartan, but it's pricey.....How is the corrosion on the bolts and plates for the hinge? Since this is not bonded to the rest of the underwater metal, it has a tendancy for pitting. I wound up drilling and tapping some holes in the plates for a couple of zincs.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 08:56 
Midshipman

Well, we are freshwater here in Lake Michigan. The boat was taken to Florida for about a year as I understand it, but was in MN and WI on Lakes MI and Superior when I bought her. So corrosion does not seem to be a problem. I bought her in 1996 and this same thing happened in about 1998. The marina was able to just replace the bolt and I believe add some "Lock-Tight"... but I think had to grind down the end of the bolt because it was too long -- the bolt size appears to be a weird size as I compared it to stainless bolts/screws of similar size at the big marina store down the street. Even my own marina could not find an exact match at three places.

Do you (or other members) know any website which would show a picture of the assembly? Thanks for the reply.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 12:45 
Skipper

Here's the web-site for Tartan Parts showing the T37:
https://www.tartanparts.com/product/pro ... fcf6d105d2

The price for the hinge assembly iss listed at $275.
One thought is to assembly your hinge the best you can to the centerboard, then tack-weld it with a stainless weld. In the future, you would have to grind off the weld to remove the assembly, but it would hold!!! and you wouldn't have to worry about the threads!!! Very Happy
Attachment:
57b23_centerboard_pin_2.jpg

57b23_centerboard_pin_2.jpg [ 18.24 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2007 10:06 
Midshipman

Thanks for the suggestion about a tack weld. Actually, I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I continue to ponder how best to approach this repair. The link to the Tartan Parts website was helpful. After looking at the pin assembly and the centerboard, I can see that it is not the assembly but the plate that is attached to the centerboard where the problem lies. When the board is down, there is the hole for the main pin at the front of the plate and two bolts behind that which attach the plate to the centerboard. The lower bolt is the one that has stripped and when the board is down, we found last time that if you grind out a small groove in the bottom of the keel at that point (port side), you can remove and replace the lower bolt without having to take out the entire assembly. But now I have a photo to work with so the marina can see what we are dealing with. Thanks again.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2007 08:44 
Midshipman

Just an update for anyone interested. I ended up calling Tartan Yachts/Parts to see about a replacement bolt. The person I talked to basically said that each board is custom made (I think he meant maybe that because they stopped producing this model of boat), the only way to get a new centerboard is to make them "one-off". So he said reparing the plate and bolt issue is to do it ourselves. The bottom line is that the two plates on either side of the centerboard are made of brass, so easy to strip if tightning a stainless bolt too tightly. So, if the bolt is indeed stripped he suggested drilling and tapping for the next larger size bolt. I know my marina can drill and tap but I need to check and see if they also have a tool to make a larger bevel seating on the port side for the (larger) head of the new bolt. Just an FYI, as I said. I'm going to try and have them do it this week.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email