Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Electronics Tinkering?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electronics Tinkering?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019 17:41 
Skipper

Should I just power up the Raytheon multifunction charter plotter with 12V and maybe see what I'm dealing with? The helm looks like a jet fighter display - way too busy - with all the bells and whistles for wind, knot, log, GPS, radar, etc., etc. I just can't identify the main multifunction display unit which I'm guessing is around 10 years old. The manual lists several units and doesn't specifically identify them. And I've searched. I don't THINK it's a touchscreen. I need a new transducer for the knot/log and a sending unit for the masthead wind speed/direction, etc. but everything at least looks pretty good. It's all Raytheon. I'll get another chart plotter to stick at the Nav. The radome is a monster and was on the backstay. I'll go with a post in the transom area, or invent something.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Electronics Tinkering?
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019 10:27 
Skipper

Well (mumbling to self), I think I've ascertained through weeks of sifting the internet and Youtube that I have a Raymarine C95 MFD, ST 60 (not 60+, not 60i) wind, speed and depth units. I have a Raymarine SP X10 autopilot "brain," but I haven't gotten to the display head identification yet. The autopilot is connected to the rudder quadrant (no wheel pilot). There's also a 24" Raymarine radome that was backstay mounted on a Questus mount (rig was up when I bought the boat, didn't like that much weight bouncing on the backstay). I'm guessing I have Seatalk NG, but I haven't gotten to that rig yet. Highly educational (and complex) mess. The manual for the C95 MFD alone is over 400 pages long.

All this is mounted in Navpod at the helm. Way too much stuff in your field of vision. Rather have big numbers backlit and bulkhead mounted except maybe the MFD, which would display anything you want anyway. Including tankage, any AIS I deign to include, etc. It is also wireless, connects to Ipad or Iphone or whatever which is good for down by the nav station.

The sending unit at the masthead for wind speed/direction requires a repair kit. The vane is broken. That kit is only around $25.00, but I believe I HAVE to have the squared cups rather than the newer round ones or it will read all wonky. Need a speed transducer repair kit as well. Fairly cheap repair - one of the paddle wheel studs was broken off. A yard should NEVER hit that unit with the pressure washer.

Fingers crossed on all this. The PO told me he simply couldn't get the autopilot to work right. I'm hoping a manual sit-down will help, but Raymarine's warehouse is in New Hampshire, and I've been in there before years ago. Someone tossed me an an old autohelm unit that needed parts and a guy let me in the back door. Rooms full of returned (but working) gear. He said take what you want (quickly). I asked for a couple things extra (like a radar unit and mfd) and he said no. Get out. The autohelm worked great for years.

This kid is going to get an Astral III just because. I used to know how to use a sextant. Can't remember a thing. Reduction tables maybe?

Profile Email