Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Keel construction info.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keel construction info.
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019 19:36 
Skipper

I am currently in the workyard at Indiantown. Two boats away is a gentleman who worked for the company that built the T37 hull plug. He actually lofted and built the keel. It was built to S&S design but it was decided the aft end was too narrow to get a good fiberglass layup,so they made it a little shorter and added the rest later.
He also formed up the hull around the rudder shaft,that awkward to tape when painting spot is to slightly reduce the waterline length for IOR measuring. Interesting guy to talk with.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Keel construction info.
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2019 13:45 
Skipper

The awkward to tape area is the boot top directly above the rudder shaft,a tight turn in the hull.
I did ask about keel fill but they built the plug and two moulds from it,I assume one for Ohio and one for Hamlet,he has no further info except that Tartan built the deck mould.
I have my centerboard out,opened up the bolt holes and injected them with thickened epoxy.I have just,this morning,drilled and retapped the fastner holes.Previously three of the bolts were only tight because I stuck tie wraps in the holes before replacing wasted bolts!
They also built the Tartan 41 moulds.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2019 16:00 
Skipper

The holes holding the stainless angles to the underside of the keel? Those bolts or the bolts in the centerboard bronze plates? I think I'm going to fabricate a whole new bracket and pin setup. The pin - that the centerboard hangs on - the threads are wonky and floaty. Maybe I can just have some material added and re-thread the receiver. I don't think anything could go anywhere . . . I got a 1/4" bolt out of one of my mounting holes that had snapped off only to find someone had drilled and tapped a larger bolt to get that one into. Are we going into lead here? Is that the area you injected epoxy?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019 13:54 
Skipper

Yes,the six bolts that hold the stainless angles,it’s not a perfect fix but it’s better than it was.

Attachments:
3905EDAB-BD5A-45F6-8529-76B3EF03C90F.jpeg
3905EDAB-BD5A-45F6-8529-76B3EF03C90F.jpeg [ 1.98 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019 07:01 
Skipper

Thank you. So you cleaned, filled with thickened epoxy, faired, re-tapped (oversize?) - are your threads in epoxy or . . . what the hell is up in there for foundation material? I assumed lead. Seems like a lot of weight to put on epoxy. I still have to get a broken bolt out of where I took out another broken bolt that had been tapped into the first broken bolt.

Not that's what gets me. If someone cranked hard enough to break off TWO bolts, one 3/8 and then one 1/4, it MUST be threaded into something more substantial than a plastic substrate.

Now if the G-D boat was blocked higher than the G-D depth of the G-D snow . . . doesn't matter. I'm in the Virgin Islands until Tuesday, then back up for Thanksgiving.

Profile Email