Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - engine throttle

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine throttle
PostPosted: 30 May 2007 22:14 
Skipper

How have any of you solved the problem with the throttle adjustment being too free and not staying put at higher RPMs? I have tried putting a small hose clamp on the cable near the engine but it is either too tight or not enough. I got ahold of Edson but with my type of pedestal there doesn't seem to be a solution. Right now I just use a piece of twine and tie it. Could it be that a new cable would be stiffer and tighter than a worn one and would fix the problem?

Thanks, Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: engine throttle
PostPosted: 30 May 2007 22:26 
Skipper

Can't offer a solution, but we have a really nice jury rig. Very small bungee line going from one post to the other. When you're at high RPM you pull it back over the throttle and it holds in place. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I haven't looked but I'm assuming there's an adjustment at the engine end. It's been this way since a few yrs after replacing the cable.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 05:54 
Skipper

Mine does the same thing. I use a loop of string that I slip over the throttle lever to keep it from backing down. A friend of mine used to use a plastic coppetone bottle wedged between the compass and the lever. It just needs a litttttttle more friction and it would be fine......unitl then.....I deal with it helm

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 08:27 
Midshipman

I have the same problem and also use a tie. I currently have a small 1/8" piece of line that I keep tied around the pedestal so it is always at the crusing speed when I'm going to use it. I figured any time I want to sit on the combing or use the autopilot, I'm going to be at full cruising speed anyway. I've also used a thick/wide rubber band but they tend to corrode in the sun. I have not found any adjustment/tightning screws or clamps on the throttle cable although on my previous boat I was able to tighten a c-clamp that held the throttle to a bulkhead. Haven't found a spot like that on the T37.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 12:59 
Skipper

Do you think a new cable would help?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2007 20:44 
Able Bodied Seaman

From what I can find about new cables there would be less friction in a new one, making the slipping worse. I didn't know better a few years ago, and I removed the compass and drilled and taped a threaded screw to bear down on the throttle shaft at the binacle making the necessary friction to hold the throttle position. Later I found there is a simple product that pinches the cable like a "c-clamp" it is small enough to ride on the cable and has a bolt head to set the friction. http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/MOR/MOR44386.html

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007 12:21 
Skipper

This has it solved for us. You can leave it on for 10k up and it will stay in place. Idle might crawl up to 10k.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email