Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - I've decided to PAINT

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I've decided to PAINT
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019 10:32 
Skipper

The hell with it. I got one side looking good, but the other side, which sat in the sun for several years, just won't come back completely. A lot of dings and scratches that I could have overlooked, but the hell with it. Based on compounding hours, I could have painted it already. Don't need a dark blue boat in the Caribbean in any event. Working with Epifanes to do this right. I've painted several boats, this will be a roll and tip and a much lighter color than the dark blue gelcoat.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: I've decided to PAINT
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 11:31 
Skipper

These incessant tropical showers are beating me. I may have to bag the boat and leave it in Maine for the winter. Centerboard is barrier coated, as is the interior of the trunk. About 3 shots of Micron 66 and she goes back together. I got 7/16 dyneema for the pennant.

Thing is, while I was laying under boat, I noticed a droplet - first I've seen - dripping from the aft end of the keel. The reason is some numbskull was securing the ports for a torrential rain and got distracted by something shiny and neglected to dog the port forward Newfound. Since I've been working alone . . .

There's a little clean fresh water in the bilge and its migrating out. I'm going to clip the aft end of the keel, let it dry and re-lay it with 17 oz biax & west system.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019 01:30 
Skipper

Are you SURE there is a leak in the hull? Just because the bilge has water and you are seeing it outside does not mean it is transiting the hull material. You seem to be knowledgeable enough to have chased leaks before. Caution before you over react. That hull is thick solid glass down there.

I would consider spraying the hull (or more likely having it sprayed) after you do all the prep work. I have rolled and tipped several boats. While folks generally believe they were sprayed, I know I was lucky—the temp the humidity the thinning of the paint and the skill of your assistant (you know not to roll and tip alone) are critical. Anyone of those things is off—and you will be sanding again. Spraying costs a bit, but the result is better controlled and the real time expense is in the prep.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019 06:16 
Skipper

Paints have changed dramatically in the past couple of years. Epiphanes, using their rollers, flows out without tipping. Amazing results. You just have to make sure you get the thickness right while rolling.
I watched a guy in St. Thomas a few weeks ago roll and tip Awlgrip. He uses an 8" wide brush with bristles about 2.5" long (an Italian made arts brush) with only vertical strokes. This was on a wooden boat and the finish is flawless.

Yeah, the "droplet" has never been there before and the water clearly has going through a tortured path to get to the bottom of the keel. It has the classic brownish look on the ground from having gone through resins, and a hint of resin stink. It didn't show up until I left some water in the bilge, which heretofore has been bone dry. I've glassed 3' holes in boats, so I'm not too concerned about a non-structural component. I'll vacuum the bilge, cut it off, let it dry some and glass it back up. I already have all the stuff. Thing is, I had ground off the bottom paint in the area where there was a tiny bit of delamination and discovered that both the forward end of the keel and the aft end of the keel had been worked, with white gelcoat applied on both. I suspect someone either hit it or tried to dry it. More recently, I'd attribute the delam to blocking it wrong, too far aft. I even wrote "hollow, do not block" in marker on the area I ground off. About the aft 16" or so of the keel. Probably a little less. The rest of the keel and bottom is dark blue gelcoat. Not a very good job was done, either, with gelcoat over old bottom paint and fiberglass cloth instead of roving, chop or biax used. Someone was also apparently enamoured with bondo, which shouldn't be used below the waterline (it absorbs water). It's all coming out. A day's work. Meaning she doesn't go south until May.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019 05:07 
Skipper

Thanks for the info on the new paint. I used Interlux a few years ago on my Folkboat and it tipped out nicely, but not like spray. I did not know of the progress with the new paints. Probably should actually go to a boat show and meet the factory guys again someday. IMHO there should be no gelcoat below the waterline. It is an invitation to problems over time. As you probably know, some of the high end builders in the past would not put any down there. When I reglassed my hull, I left it in faired epoxy.
Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019 09:15 
Skipper

The yard is making it impossible for me to work with any continuity. They're moving me tomorrow to get the mast out of an old Columbia 43 behind me. So I have to move my entire workstations, clear everything so they can move the boat, then they'll stuff me closer together with others so they can maximize space. This will be the 5th move, 3 of which in my mind were just unnecessary.

I'm using Petit barrier coat on the bottom, rudder, centerboard trunk & centerboard in white. Epoxy all the way around. Then Micron 66.

There is, on youtube, an Epiphanes instructive video painting a dinghy and another one down in Rockport where the guy uses it for woodenboat restoration with no spraying. Alexseal is another coating now designed for DIY rolling or rolling and tipping. I did a 50' Navy Utility in California a few years ago with Interlux Yacht Finish and it came out great. We rolled and tipped 50' of hull both sides in a couple of hours. Just got to keep moving before it flashes. As we're doing it, the moron with the travel lift at the boatyard on Humboldt Bay pulls a hull up next to us and starts pressure washing 20' away while we're working on the staging. Small boatyard conflict to get him to stop and move came as close as you can to fisticuffs. Coast Guard officers watching the fray (they had a surf boat in the yard and had been watching me do repair work) stepped in and told him to back the F off. That boat is now crabbing dungeness out of San Francisco Bay. What a waste of a great boat.

Profile Email