Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Centerboard
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 08:09 
Skipper

I think a dowel with a little electrical tape on it (kinda slippery) lightly jammed into the new thru hull would get you up in there. Probably about 4' long, maybe longer, since you have to go in at an angle from well aft. Get it through, capture it, and walk the West System to the inside.

I still can't figure out why I couldn't winch the centerboard all the way up. Everything was lined up. Maybe that pennant tube HAS to float on the line to get every inch. Maybe it's really close to being exactly the length from the bowline/padeye to the thru hull. How long is your pennant tube?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019 21:41 
Skipper

I'm blocked up with good access to the CB trunk. I was thinking small DC plug with a 5gal size paint stick tacked to it.

Think the pendant tube could be too long, not allowing the line to be pulled all the way up.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 17:35 
Skipper

In 25 years, this is the third time for replacing the hose and pendant. This inspection I'm seeing some pitting, thinking of coating with Interlux 2000 to protect. I got thinking about this hose, mine has always been the softer water hose type. It got me thinking this really isn't a USCG rated hose for seawater application. I'm not certain the rated hose could slide in there. Might give it a try.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019 07:41 
Skipper

I got the centerboard all done up, barrier coated, bottom painted (along with the inside of the trunk) and installed the other day after I got chased out of the Caribbean by Jerry. The board wouldn't drop due to friction toward the port side. Pissed, I grabbed the board at the end and yanked it to starboard hard a couple times and it now drops, but I think I have to re-think the whole hinge pin assembly. I think someone grounded this thing, beat up the original, then replaced the stainless angles. The threaded 1" pin that connects the angles, well, the threads ain't nothing to write home about. It can't come apart once installed, but it certainly isn't a tight joint between the male a female threads. And I'm still missing the stbd forward bolt. I got the broken one out, but it appears to me yet ANOTHER broken bolt is up in there, larger than the one I got out (which was smaller than the other 5). I think someone drilled and tapped the old 3/8" bolt and put a 1/4 20 into it, snapping off the 1/4 20 before it seated.

I'll probably pull the damn thing and have a new hinge pin assembly made up, contemplate helicoils and so forth. It has to center just right, and I don't think it is. I need to do some measurements.

Oh, and I just went by the Owner's Manual to reassemble, an exactly 22" piece of 1" I.D. exhaust style hose floating on the line rather than stitched to it. It went up O.K., but jeez what a pain getting that board in the right position and getting the hinge pin bolts in.

Any suggestions?

Profile Email