Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hairline Cracks in NonSkid

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hairline Cracks in NonSkid
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019 15:24 
Tactictian

I've been getting more and more hairline cracks in my nonskid, mainly at the starboard side gate ( above the galley/ icebox) where we board the boat.
There were a few cracks when I bought the boat two years ago and the inspection report called them cosmetic, that there where no elevated moisture readings in the nonskid.

The deck feels solid. Does anybody else have this problem?
Is there a fix short of grinding down the nonskid and adding glass?
I'd never be able to match the nonskid.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Nick,
S/V Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hairline Cracks in NonSkid
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019 17:24 
Tactictian

Hi Nick. You can make repairs by casting a mould off a good section of non skid and grinding out the cracks or damage and pour in colour matched gelcoat and press the mould to spread the gelcoat. Proper use of mould release (PVA) is required. I have even done adequate repairs by using wax as a mould.#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 16:31 
Tactictian

Zoombats,

Thanks for your comments.
I have two concerns with making a mold and fill in with Gelcoat.

1.) My Nonskid has a random pattern. I'm not sure how this would turn out, how to "line up" the mold.

2.) My deck feels solid, but I'm not sure if some glass reinforcement is required or the cracks will keep coming back.

Please comment.
Thanks,
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 18:27 
Skipper

Are you sure these cracks are not the result of someone grabbing the stanchions or lifelines when docking the boat? Also, could be genoa track leaking in some place and weakening things. A picture might help.
I have been able to scratch and fill some cracks—matching the gelcoat color is a fussy, but not impossible job.
Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019 08:29 
Tactictian

Ray,
Cracks do not appear around or propagate from the stanchions.
What's odd is that the deck feels solid but cracking continues.
I'm heading up to the boat this weekend and will snap a few photos.
Thanks.
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2019 05:56 
Skipper

I had some cracks open up in my boat after this last winter storage and I have owned the boat for 27 years. Boat was covered outside, but it was a weird winter here in Maine. We had generally warm weather and rain and some a few very cold bouts with deep freezing. What I think happened was that more water got blown through the cover, got deeper into the cracks because of the generally warmer weather of this winter, and froze harder on the exceptionally cold days. At least that is my theory. I will never store the boat outside again. I had an uncommon amount of moisture below as well and a lot of electrical corrosion from the warm wet spells. Lesson to me is to keep the boat dry through the winter and the only way to do that is to get it inside. I think if I had fewer systems (no forced air diesel heater, no below deck autopilot, no windlass solenoids, no refrigeration and fewer pumps—I had failures in all of these first thing in Spring) storing outside would just be a cosmetic issue, but I have spent half the summer repairing and replacing electrical systems that I attribute corrosion. I think the below decks was turned into a wet hot pressure cooker for much of the winter. Never again. Our winters are getting warmer and I think this actually has an effect on storage options. Keep down condensation has always been an issue, but last year was a nightmare. FWIW.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019 07:10 
Skipper

Stick a de-huey down below, drain it to the bilge or a through hull until freezing weather and after freezing weather. They're everywhere now that everyone is growing magic greenery.

The cracks may be from damp core and laminate separation from the deck substrate. After that rain the other day, unfortunately, I saw bubbles coming from a pinhole in the foredeck as the sun baked it. Nothing anyone but me would notice.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2019 15:37 
Tactictian

Photos of Cracks

Attachments:
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG [ 2 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG [ 1.84 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG [ 2.47 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019 10:48 
Skipper

The laminate bond with the plywood (or balsa) is slowly separating and when it flexes the gelcoat cracks. Usually due to moisture intrusion. As the gelcoat cracks spread, more moisture gets under the gelcoat and increases the cracking.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019 12:13 
Tactictian

Is this beyond grinding off the nonskid and adding glass?
Do you think that I'm looking at open deck surgery?
Any repair recommendations are welcome.
Regards,
Nick.

Profile Email